Can Mason Stains Be "mixed" Together? Eg Red + Blue = Purple?

mousey

Asking before I invest in a bunch of primary colors, since often the determining factor is how 'true' the component colors are.  EG if you mix a red and a blue paint together, if they are 'true' red and blue you get purple, but if they each contain various other pigments eg orange, yellow, so on, you end up with brown.

Tried to google up some relevant info on a few occasions and came up empty handed, seemed like too simple a question to bother you guys with but the lack of data out there left me with no (inexpensive) alternatives..

I'm unclear what range of colours you are trying to achieve. You might try asking a similar question on

a china-painting group as they would probably be more familiar with the problems of colour-mixing a

large range of colours "on demand" from a small palette.

Regards, Peter

PS

AFAIK the people trying really hard to mix ceramic colours from a limited set of "primaries" are the

developers of colour printing systems (for producing transfers and even direct printing on clay). My

understanding is that they use a CMYK colour model. AFAIK such pigments are not generally/cheaply

available.

If you are unfamiliar with cyan-magenta-yellow colour mixing, here is an example with oil paints:

Colours good for this sort of mixing are often called names like process-blue, process-red and process yellow.

Archived