Very Cool Ulexite Oil Spot Glaze, Cone 6

jrgpots

I found a very nice oil spot glaze posted on Facebook by Clara Giorello.   She took a cone 10 oilspot glaze, "Daly's oilspot" and changed it to a cone 6 glaze by adding Ulexite.   I had not even heard of Ulexite before, so a google search taught me that Ulexite is a sodium borate mineral.  It is also known as Sodium Calcium pentaborate octahydrate.  It sounds like very cool stuff.  It forms complex crystals that refract the light.  It is known as "TV Stone."   It is similar to Colmenite without the Silica and alumina.  Gersley borate has a small amount of it.  Clara Giorello ground the mineral herself.

Her recipe is: cone 6

K feldspar           40

quartz                 30

Talc                     10

Kaolin                 10

Ca Carb              10

add:   RIO           10

Ulexite       10.

I tried to find a supplier for Ulexite.  I found an import company that was willing to sell me a metric ton of the stuff.  Has anyone ever used this and by chance found a distributor?

Jed

post-26461-0-67652900-1472616220_thumb.jpg

post-26461-0-67652900-1472616220_thumb.jpg

Not wanting to be picky, but that isn't an oil spot glaze any more, even if attractive. Oil spot glazes are formed by the thermal decomposition of a saturated red iron oxide glaze, which only occurs at temperatures over about 1250C

• 2 weeks later...

Not wanting to be picky, but that isn't an oil spot glaze any more, even if attractive. Oil spot glazes are formed by the thermal decomposition of a saturated red iron oxide glaze, which only occurs at temperatures over about 1250C

Whether it is the reduction of iron or not, it looks like there is some gas being released to cause the effect. It seems close enough to me.

Archived