Podmore Wheel In Need Of A New Electrics System

cmanser

Hi all, 

I have recently purchased a Podmore wheel to find that the whole electrics system needs repairing! not ideal :( 

Everything else in the wheel seems in good condition and would be a shame to write the wheel off! 

My uncle fixes motorbikes and deals with electrics so had a look at it and got it working but then it stopped again. we figure that someone previously has done some soldering work on it and basically it needs a replacement electric system. 

I rang Potterycrafts who took over Podmore in 1982 and asked if it could be refurbished or if they sell the parts and they said I would need to find an electrician who wanted to fix it for me and the modern wheels are so different electrically wise that we cant even combine the two. 

The wheel is currently in swindon, Wiltshire. Any ideas of how to get it fixed or who to ask? i really dont want to scrap it :(

My uncle fixes motorbikes and deals with electrics so had a look at it and got it working but then it stopped again. We figure

that someone previously has done some soldering work on it and basically it needs a replacement electric system.

If all else fails it might be worth:

- looking at the quality of the soldering in the changes previously made, and remaking if required: dry joints and all that.

- looking for heat-damaged components near this soldering (esp. electrolytics if any).

... also look out for the oldie but goldie, a broken wire in a flexible cable: as recently reported in the thread Interesting Wheel Pedal Repair

One of these?

I'd say get an electrician too. I'm a former Harley and Honda tech. Nothing against your uncle, but there isn't anything in there remotely close to motorcycle electrical. That appears to be all AC and a completely different animal to anything on wheels (aside from an EV). You need someone with electrical experience, not mechanical.

• 3 years later...

There is nothing too elaborate in the electrics, just have to be careful as it is mains AC and high voltage DC that is hot. Also it is worth mentioning that it is a variac that drives the DC motor not a rheostat as some people seem to think. I have a circuit diagram for reference.

• 1 year later...
On 5/12/2020 at 5:41 PM, Zac said:

There is nothing too elaborate in the electrics, just have to be careful as it is mains AC and high voltage DC that is hot. Also it is worth mentioning that it is a variac that drives the DC motor not a rheostat as some people seem to think. I have a circuit diagram for reference.

Hi

Do you still have  circuit diagram to share?

I need a new transformer (if that is the right term  regulator?  not the motor)

Archived