Commercial Glaze To Acheive Crackle Effect With Bisque To Cone 6 And Fireing To Cone 6?

ceramik

Hi,

the subject pretty much says it all.  I'm at a community studio that does a bisque fire to cone 6 and a glaze fire to cone 6.

I want to acheive the crackle look (where you rub in some black to enhance the lines)... I've looked at the duncan line & talked to them, but they require a bisque to cone 4 to achieve the effect....

I'd appreciate hearing any recommendations.  Thanx

ceramik.

Are you sure you mean bisque to cone 6 and cone 4? Bisque is usually done in the cone 06-04 range. Big difference. If you bisque to cone 4 or 6, the clay will be too vitrified to glaze.

The glaze should crackle whether you bisque to 04 or 06. Not sure how that would make a difference.

When referring to firing temperatures using the "cone" jargon the 0 (zero) before the number, as in cone 05, has great significance!  Never leave it out  or you will be communicating a much  higher temperature. 

see the Orton cone chart at:  https://www.ortonceramic.com/files/2676/File/orton-cone-chart-2016.pdf

When talking the leading 0 is pronounced "Oh" as in "cone Oh five" for cone 05.

LT

sorry, its bisque to cone 06. this is the glaze i'm looking at:

Duncan Crystals & Crackles Glazes Celadon Crackle

but it needs an 04 bisque... does anyone know of a glaze that would work with a 06 bisque?

I bisque to cone 05. Some porcelain users will bisque much lower. The main difference is how absorbent the bisque will be when glazing. Many studios bisque at cone 05 or 04 to help reduce glaze runs by less experience students. A higher bisque temperature also helps burn out more clay impurities that could affect the look of a glaze. You may have to experiment with glaze thickness since your bisque is lower and the bisqueware a bit more absorbent. Go ahead and use the Duncan. Make up a handful of test tiles and go for it.

Archived