Getting Much Better Results Already. Thanks For The Tips

Wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone who contacted me with hints and tips for decorating fine relief work. I tried the oxide rubs but they still clogged up the detail. The wax and gilding seems to give the best results so far.

Another question for the forum hive mind. How durable is gold leaf, bearing in mind these tiles are for outdoor use.

Thanks in advance

Darran

post-76862-0-01669500-1472229964_thumb.jpg

Wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone who contacted me with hints and tips for decorating fine relief work. I tried the oxide rubs but they still clogged up the detail. The wax and gilding seems to give the best results so far.

Another question for the forum hive mind. How durable is gold leaf, bearing in mind these tiles are for outdoor use.

Thanks in advance

Darran

No real tips but am interested in this topic and as far as that tile ..... W O W. Gorgeous. 

That's good to know Antoinette. Have you had any experience of using it. I have to admit it gives great resuts seems a bit too delicate for everyday use. I am liking the gilding wax. Lots of colours and instant results. Will have to see how it does outdoors over time.

I've used it in different areas indoors. It wears off over time. Think about gold lustre in a dishwasher and that gold is already been fired to ^018. I will look for a glaze that will give gold-like results if I am you, but it will have to fit the clay very well in order to prevent moisture from seeping into the clay and glaze.

Preeta, I have seen modern buildings with golden finishes while I was in Europe this summer. My impression is that it is maintained on a regular basis and it is in more southern countries where freezing is limited. I've not been to  Asia, so I have no idea of how they maintain it. 

Archived