raku - how to remove smell

hi,

I have a pot that was raku fired, with a large amount of none glazed area, and it sat for days without being washed off. it stinks, you know, like ash or burning paper, really strong. Does anyone have ideas for how to remove the smell? I've scrubbed it, used soap, white vinegar, baking soda, but it is still really strong smoke smell. thanks.

cheers

I have found that it is just the nature of the firing and its almost impossible to get rid of immediately. I have several pieces done months ago that still have a slight campfire smell. Dawn dish soap with a fragrant smell helps for a little while (be liberal with how much you use to wash the piece... the more the better. I have found that a healthy amount of suds help) but in all honesty... it just takes time. patience is a virtue.

hi,

I have a pot that was raku fired, with a large amount of none glazed area, and it sat for days without being washed off. it stinks, you know, like ash or burning paper, really strong. Does anyone have ideas for how to remove the smell? I've scrubbed it, used soap, white vinegar, baking soda, but it is still really strong smoke smell. thanks.

cheers

Try wrapping it in a couple layers of newsprint. The print is supposed to absorb odours. If you have charcoal, you could include it because it absorbs odours as well.

hi,

cheers

I've found that washing the pot, while it is still hot from the reduction tin, with some dishwashing detergent. gets rid of the smell. The pot is hot enough to sizzle when it hits the water. For reduction, I use eucalyptus leaves and/or newspaper.

Cheers. Graeme.

thanks yall. my guess is that since I wasn't able to wash this one, the smell is stronger. Others that got washed right away are fine. I'll suds it up a few more times and then let it sit in some newspapers for a while. I have it sitting out in the sun too - I figure sunlight and wind maybe a good cleanser too. A friend mentioned activated charcoal, which makes sense, although kinda funny since the smoke smell is really from some sort of charcoal.

thanks

patrick

thanks yall. my guess is that since I wasn't able to wash this one, the smell is stronger. Others that got washed right away are fine. I'll suds it up a few more times and then let it sit in some newspapers for a while. I have it sitting out in the sun too - I figure sunlight and wind maybe a good cleanser too. A friend mentioned activated charcoal, which makes sense, although kinda funny since the smoke smell is really from some sort of charcoal.

thanks

patrick

Sun and wind are actually good ideas. And time. I've done many raku firings, and after a month or 2 I don't notice a smell anymore. Also, I wash mine up the same day with soft scrub cleanser, and have always had good results.

Archived