Silkscreen Test Plates

I thought I would share my first silkscreen test plates with everyone. I think I've mentioned before that I've been working on teaching myself to silkscreen on pottery. They are not quite perfect but only need a few small tweaks to get them to the image I see in my head.

post-22921-0-77239200-1472091944_thumb.jpeg

post-22921-0-77239200-1472091944_thumb.jpeg

my message is lost.  darn post button being at the bottom!  

the design is excellent, you will get those execution details down very soon.  i think the balance of color and white is just right and the music looks as though someone just dropped a ribbon of music onto the plate.  well done!

really attractive.

Thank you everyone! Yes they are tests, needed to see how everything works together.

Joseph - yes there is a fade in the center. It's supposed to be more blue but came out too light. On the last smaller test I did with a slip of 10% blue I thought the blue distorted the flower colors too much so went with 5% this time. Now of course it's too light. Feel like the Goldilocks of slip coloring! In fact the background is a blend of blue, white and yellow. The blue is in the center of each plate fading to white then transitioning to yellow around the rim. I also think I need to narrow the yellow transition a bit more as well.

I am thinking of doing the backsides in the same yellow slip next time instead of the yellow glaze I did this time. If I do that I can add a bird or some butterflies to the backside to give it some interest as well. I have found I like adding little bits of interest or a mini surprise on the bottoms of my pieces. Right now it's just yellow with my logo silkscreened on it.

Oldlady - thank you! You as always are my most valued and appreciated friend. 😄 ( see? Still being good 😜)

I have also added additional silkscreened pieces to my gallery.

T

post-22921-0-55504900-1472142157_thumb.jpeg

post-22921-0-55504900-1472142157_thumb.jpeg

wow terry these look awesome. i love the fun yellow on the underside.

i must admit as someone who wants to do this in future i am super envious.

i am blown away by the line quality. i love silk screen. especially the thin lines one can achieve these days. i did not think using slip you could achieve relatively thin lines like the brown outline you have. 

do i see 7 screens there? or maybe 6? LOT of work. 

i took a print silk screen class and i loved it. the teacher and i will eventually experiment with clay. 

Preeta - good eye there are 5 screens. I used 1 screen for the fills on the flowers and leaves since I wanted the pink and green to intermingle a bit.

I am completely in love with silkscreening on my pottery. Using screens means I can sketch up any image I want, break it down to color separations. I then use the screens to recreate designs that used to be impossible or too expensive to recreate when drawing by hand on each piece. I have so many ideas I want to try but for now I tell myself perfect THIS design then move on. But it's hard when the next one will be Springtime Puppies, a design of Pug puppies I used to hand paint on glass years ago.

T

Archived