#41 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,214 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:03 PM

I am cleaning out my library/office and found a scrap book for my class where we actually got a warning for smoke. Front page in the Billings, Gazette with a laughing fireman.I mentioned this in an earlier post but I found the picture.

Attached Files

Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

#42 Rae Reich

Rae Reich

Rae - Unusual Clay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

I'll relate my first "epic fail" because, while not huge, it ruined other's pieces. End of first semester, helping to load a glaze firing of everyone's work into the big car kiln prior to Christmas. I was eager to place all the pots and saw an opportunity in the spaces above the loaded pots for plates and shallow bowls. So, I put kiln posts between the pots and perched the plates on them.

That was how I, and the plate owners, and those whose pots were beneath the plates, learned how soft the clay becomes at ^10.

I'm still amazed that the lab tech I was "assisting" didn't correct me before that car rolled into the kiln!

#43 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:10 PM

(I'm still amazed that the lab tech I was "assisting" didn't correct me before that car rolled into the kiln! )

Just shows that Lab Techs may not know as much as one may guess.

•  
  •  

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#44 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:08 AM

I am cleaning out my library/office and found a scrap book for my class where we actually got a warning for smoke. Front page in the Billings, Gazette with a laughing fireman.I mentioned this in an earlier post but I found the picture.

Is that newspaper from 1983 or is it 1953? its hard to make out the date?

Mark Cortright

#45 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:27 AM

I had an electric overfire in a bisque load earlier this spring -it got really hot-I unpacked it all into a trash can and took it to the road base grinder down the hill right after unloading it all as it was packed FULL.. I do not consider it an epic failure just something that will happen now and then if you work hard in clay like us production potters do. I ordered and installed a new cone sitter . Problem fixed.I just threw another load and moved ahead. Its ceramics and it will always at some point get you. It just part of the deal.

Mark Cortright

#46 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:39 PM

Is that newspaper from 1983 or is it 1953? its hard to make out the date? '83....I'd be older than Beatrice Wood if it was '53!

#47 Kaolinwasher

Kaolinwasher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Locationspencer brook Minnesota

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:44 AM

I made a small wood fire kiln 9" x13.5" x 10" deep put my pot in it and started firing  i tried to go slow but the fire box was 2x bigger than the interior of the kiln,  as i fired i heard what sounded like pop corn, but i just wrote it off as the wood poping , crackling, after about 4 hours of an enormous amount of wood , being burned . And keep in mind i had a 8 ft chimney that was 8" wide so it was really pulling . I opened it up and the pot was gone. it had disappeared. i had put it in green and it blew into tiny speks and was like sawdust  that ended my wood firing . 

#48 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:54 AM

I made a small wood fire kiln 9" x13.5" x 10" deep put my pot in it and started firing  i tried to go slow but the fire box was 2x bigger than the interior of the kiln,  as i fired i heard what sounded like pop corn, but i just wrote it off as the wood poping , crackling, after about 4 hours of an enormous amount of wood , being burned . And keep in mind i had a 8 ft chimney that was 8" wide so it was really pulling . I opened it up and the pot was gone. it had disappeared. i had put it in green and it blew into tiny speks and was like sawdust  that ended my wood firing . 

Welcome to the school of hard knocks-I'm a graduate myself

Mark Cortright

#49 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:53 AM

I heard a story by Kurt Weiser about the Mothers day sale at the Bray. Someone unwittingly bought an unfired pot from of the the studios and put it in the dishwasher.It disappeared too.
Marcia

#50 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 04:26 PM

Not tying the dog up.

I load my pots into the back of my truck/ute whatever to travel to my kiln a couple of hundred metres away.

I need always to tie up the sheep dog who is in love with the back of trucks/utes whatever. No. of occasions, note plural when I just jump in to drive and the dog jumps in  on top of the trays of pots, are not to be confessed here.

Various dogs have done amazing midair manoeuvres to try to avoid landing but the results are well about the same... leave to the readers imagination.

Have driven off to town with box of pots on top of car roof, used to trucks y'see.

leaving my trimmed and slipped pots on top of water tank to dry and forgetting them , overnight rain.....

And so on.

Batch of teapots with no holes fromt he chamber tot he spout....

Gotta have that morning coffee now, agitated as I know that the dog is off and I left a truck tray load in my carport.

Checking out now.

#51 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:28 AM

(unwittingly)

I wonder if nitwit comes from this term?

Mark Cortright

#52 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:32 AM

midair manoeuvres, especially by a Sheep Dog would be something to see!

#53 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:35 AM

(Batch of teapots with no holes from the chamber  to the spout....)

you could sell them as diet teapots?

Or tea habit reduction teapots

Mark Cortright

#54 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:59 PM

(Batch of teapots with no holes from the chamber  to the spout....)

you could sell them as diet teapots?

Or tea habit reduction teapots

Well at that moment, I was not thinking laterally, there was only one place I was going, to where the hammer hangs. After thinking, on doing the pour test, oh I forgot one etc...

AND no dogs jumped into t he truck that morning ,funny that, they just looked from afar with that "well it could have been worse" look they give from time to time.

And Marcia, didn't have my phone handy or I would have captured some of those antics.....hmm

#55 glazenerd

glazenerd

Macro Crystalline Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Mo.

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:02 PM

Well, guess I get to add to the list of epics in my pottery career.

I had filled my 16CF with thrown items from using my new wheel. I knew many of them still had higher moisture content, others were fairly dry. I candled the entire load at 130F for 16 hours, and then did a high candle at 190F for another 12 hours. I used a mirror to check for steam: checked it several times over a 30 minute period. No steam /moisture showed up, so I let it begin to climb to inversion temps. I checked on it about 4pm, when I opened the studio door I could see steam rolling off the top of the kiln. I quickly shut it down at 1189F, and slightly cracked the lid: the steam just poured out.  I must be getting old, I saw no visible signs of steam when I put the mirror up there several times.   I dread opening it when it cools.

Nerd

#56 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:20 PM

Just get the shop vac out and get ready to vac up the shards as somewhere most likely something blew up.

Beginner pots are always to thick and take special care. Welcome to throwing 101.

The 16 hour candle should have done it except 130 is not hot enough to drive out the moisture -same deal with 190-need to increase slowly above those temps. Glad your electricity is next to free there in the rust belt.That would have cost me about 30$

Mark Cortright

#57 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:05 AM

Nerd,
It could be steam coming from the bricks if it has been damp. My bricks have caused rusting spots on the steel jackets. It isn't from the pots because it is even on the floor ring.

When I am drying out large paper clay slabs, I first turn on the kiln for a few hours, then off just to dry it some. Humidity down here is usually low in the 80% range. Once I program the slow bisque, I hold it at 200 F for several hours, then continue slowly.Be
Marciacause of the nubs on the back of the slabs, and they rest on coils, there is ample room for steam to escape.

Marcia

#58 glazenerd

glazenerd

Macro Crystalline Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Mo.

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:14 AM

Mark: just over $3 -- remember though 3" brick with 1" fiber..  Those doing high firings or long ramp holds need to consider that when purchasing (for others)

Marcia:

I sure hope so, I know there was no steam on the mirror: does have me stumped. Woke up this morning to a bad thought, wondering if a stray cat got it there. I do leave the kiln door open, and I do leave the studio door open: and it has happened before...but I saw it before I closed the door last time.

Nerd

#59 glazenerd

glazenerd

Macro Crystalline Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Mo.

Posted 26 November 2016 - 12:12 PM

Just came in from opening the bisq load: nothing cracked, nothing exploded: more importantly- no critters!

Marcia: will go with your call--moisture in the bricks.   Very weird event!  Back to firing.

Nerd

#60 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 12:51 PM

Just came in from opening the bisq load: nothing cracked, nothing exploded: more importantly- no critters!

Marcia: will go with your call--moisture in the bricks.   Very weird event!  Back to firing.

Nerd

Nothing Epic about that

Mark Cortright

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users