The last time anyone wanted a really art based portfolio from me, they wanted originals or slides. I don't have a lot of experience with the new online application programs, so I'd like the opinion of those who have more experience with them.

I'm applying for a job at the local school board for an artist in residence program. The application is through Slideroom, and they're requesting 10 portfolio images "up to 5 MB each."

The part that has me scratching my head is the "up to" part. The photos I have on my phone are roughly 1.5 MB. Do I need to pull out my DSLR and get some larger file size (but probably less well edited) shots, or are my properly white balanced pictures of lower resolution acceptable?

I understand that photos for a catalogue need to have better resolution, but these are unlikely to be used in that way.

A 1.5 mb picture taken from a camera will be very close to a 5mb picture. If you have good looking pictures on a full screen nice resolution monitor the difference isn't gonna be anything you notice going from 1.5 to 5... The real differences is when your taking RAW pictures which are like 50-100MB each and need to be processed in something like photoshop before they even look correct. My friend is a photographer and shows me some of his work. He spends a good hour or more on each picture he takes from RAW state to finished jpeg.

For the purpose you are going to use them, the good 1.5MB pix will work just fine. The 5MB size is the upper limit of what they would like to get possibly due to the limitations of their system or simply that they don't need the big files to make a judgement.

Good luck with your application...Let us know how you do!

JohnnyK

A 1.5 mb picture taken from a camera will be very close to a 5mb picture. If you have good looking pictures on a full screen nice resolution monitor the difference isn't gonna be anything you notice going from 1.5 to 5... The real differences is when your taking RAW pictures which are like 50-100MB each and need to be processed in something like photoshop before they even look correct. My friend is a photographer and shows me some of his work. He spends a good hour or more on each picture he takes from RAW state to finished jpeg.

Hi Joseph,

Regarding RAW files, the size is limited by the original capacity of the camera you are using to shoot the image. My Sony DSLR shoots 24Megapixel images in the RAW mode. The primary difference between the RAW and JPG images is that the RAW file is lossless and has ALL the information as shot, where a JPG is a compressed file and there are pixels lost with each level of reduction in the size of the image.

The majority of the current DSLRs shoot about that size RAW file. 50-100MP files are reserved for the really high end cameras which most of us can't afford.

A RAW file can be converted to a JPG with a few mouse clicks. What the photographer wants as a final image determines the amount of time they are willing to spend to accomplish that.

I've been a photographer for more than fifty years and when digital came along I jumped in with both feet, stopped shooting film and have never looked back.

Best,

JohnnyK

Archived