Slip Trailing

love you, chilly. :wub:  you sent me back to the explanation that i somehow missed the first time.  and, it works!!! :D

and, chilly, don't you agree that giselle has a real skill with a slip trailer?

Your'e welcome, and Oh yes, makes me green with envy.  I daren't even take photos of my pathetic attempts.

giselle,  you are the master of slip working.  i just discovered all those lovely things you have been doing this year.  wish i knew how to make the gallery section of this website work.  it is frustrating to have the same things come up when accessing the gallery.  once i find someone's work that i want to see more of, each picture has to be seen, enlarged, read and then another picture can be seen, enlarged, read and then another...........

what is the secret to seeing all your pieces one after another without all that work on my part?  the arrows do not work the way they do elsewhere.  i cannot make them go beyond one choice.   wish i could figure it out.  

your pieces are all so interesting because of your vision of the finished work.  i love them all but cannot find the finished, glazed pieces to complete the idea.

did guinea ever get her pig???? :wub:

love you, chilly. :wub:  you sent me back to the explanation that i somehow missed the first time.  and, it works!!! :D

and, chilly, don't you agree that giselle has a real skill with a slip trailer?

Your'e welcome, and Oh yes, makes me green with envy.  I daren't even take photos of my pathetic attempts.

For me, the gallery shows a line of thumbnails. The arrows make the line of thumbnails move, you cannot view picture by picture. You have to click on each one. It's pretty annoying and I would really like to see it improved. 

Re: the slip trailing: thank you both so much.

When I sit down, I keep two damp sponges and a smallish damp paintbrush nearby. This is so I can wipe off all the many many mistakes I make. I love Xiem slip trailing bulbs and I've spent a lot of time practicing. I still have far to go before I master it. But I truly enjoy slip trailing and I am in love with the look and feeling of the texture under glaze. So I kept at it even when everything I slip trailed was lopsided and globby. I was determined to learn. Remember that you aren't seeing all attempts I wiped off, just the good ones that I kept. 

If you want to learn slip trailing, start with dots. Just do dots, practice doing big dots and small dots until you can get uniform dots of whatever size you want. Then move on to a dot with a pulled line, for sort of a raindrop look. Etc. etc. The hardest thing to do is a long smooth straight line so save that for when you've had some experience with slip trailing. Just for reference, I can't do straight lines yet, only curved. And when the slip trailing sets up, run a very lightly wet sponge over the design to take off the sharp points. They become unbearably sharp in the glaze fire and the piece becomes unpleasant to handle plus the points are prone to break off. 

I do slip trailing Periscopes sometimes, there might even be one up on my account still, if you want more tips specific to the Xiem bulbs. Or hit me up with questions, I'm happy to help anytime. 

OldLady: Some of the newer pieces I recently posted, like the tiny shot glasses, I have just or am just about to pull out of the glaze kiln. I will share pictures as soon as I can. I am SO EXCITED about those tiny little cups. I want to make a thousand of them! :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived