Interesting Article on Forum Psychology

Guest JBaymore

Guest JBaymore

I found this interesting article about he psychology of internet Forums. Worth a read. Gives some insight into why things tend to happen the way they do sometimes.

http://www.associate...rums.html?cat=9

It also points up that THIS Forum seems to indicate that potters as a collective group are not quite totally like "the norm" described there.

But then .... we all know that potters are great folks. (And we tend to COOK well also wink.gif .)

best,

...............john

I found this interesting article about he psychology of internet Forums. Worth a read. Gives some insight into why things tend to happen the way they do sometimes.

It also points up that THIS Forum seems to indicate that potters as a collective group are not quite totally like "the norm" described there.

But then .... we all know that potters are great folks. (And we tend to COOK well also wink.gif .)

best,

...............john

I've seen this type of social activity in another forum I am on dealing with health issues. There are the bullies, there are the handicapped, and there are the spammers, and the ones ready to fight at the drop of a hat. Luckily the forum is monitored well, and inappropriate posts are deleted. Seems like we have to deal with this sort of thing everywhere. The internet is has such great potential as a tool for exploration, and learning yet at the same time we have to deal with those that would exploit it. Hmmm time to go and remove the latest spam from my inbox.

best,

...............john

John Interesting article, this is the only forum I have ever posted on, I'm probably like the rest of the potters on the forum trying to help answer questions and keep connected with other artist. I think that one thing that keeps us more civilized is that it's a small group and we don't have the anonymity that the other forums. We use our names, post our pictures, we could run into each other at NECCA or a seminar. I know this concept is unrealistic but I like to think that artists are kinder more spiritual as a group than the general public. It sounds like people on those forums are there just to vent, nothing constructive is accomplished just destructive. Denice

I love metal detecting and a few years ago I built my first forum and now have a few on metal detecting. I feel very lucky that on my forums there are some great people but you wouldnt believe the messages I get about other members and things going on, petty, stupid stuff and some of this is coming from people in their 40's and even much older, I have to say at times I find it absolutely shocking and exhausting dealing with adults with petty matters.

I have been using the internet for MANY years and I have always treated others just like I would if I was standing face to face with them. You might not be able to see who your talking to or who is reading your stuff but everyone has feelings even on here.

Guest Sherman

best,

...............john

John,

Thanks for posting that. I think everyone here at Ceramic Arts Daily is feeling more than a little lucky that this forum is going as wrinkle-free as it has. Some of that, of course, has to do with the behind-the-scenes structure that turns bad words into "######" or keeps the robots away, but we will probably always have to chase spam and tolerate opinions we don't necessarily agree with. However, from what I can tell, almost everyone on this forum is careful. And I don't mean timid or worried, I mean full of care. We care about being clear and helpful. We care (within reason) about how we are perceived by others on the forum.

It also helps that this is not a fan forum, where the primary purpose would be to analyze (positively or negatively) an individual or group. I think that opens the door for more personal critique and discussion, and can lead to the downward spiral we see on many other forums like those mentioned in the article you posted. Lucky for us, silica doesn't have feelings that get hurt when we describe it inaccurately or misunderstand it or use it improperly---it just runs or crazes or shivers or cracks or crystallizes or settles in the bucket or gives is silicosis or otherwise trashes our creative efforts. I kind of wish it did have feelings; I'd give it a piece of my mind (but not on the forum).

Keep up the good work,

Sherman

• 4 weeks later...

Archived