New Potter Looking For Help Advice

Hi everyone x im completely new to clay x just bought second hand cromartie 40 with kiln sitter to use for my degree work (mature student i might add at 45!) I am just reading up on firing as i seem to have kiln working but looking for advice on bungs and temps etc keep finding conflicting info x So if anyone can help me on my way advice tips etc especially on firing and bungs i would be forever grateful x S

Hi SarahJayne, welcome to the group.

Can you tell us more about what you're trying to find out as a more specific question will help people to help you.

Do you have a manual for the kiln, if not you should be able to download one or call the manufacturer and ask for one. That should help you with bungs etc.

As for temperatures, what clay are you using and what glazes? Every clay has it's own temperature range and every glaze has it's own range too so you need to match the firing to the clay and the glaze, and they have to match each other.  It's best to plan to do lots of testing first so you can check what works with what. It is very confusing at first so do it systematically and only change one thing at a time. Keep a notebook with the details of everything you do so you know what to do next time. 

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived