Black Grime On Wheel Head When Throwing?

Saki

I have a Brent B wheel, and a black grime develops on the wheel head when I throw (mostly on the vertical edge of the wheel head). I throw porcelain, so I know it is not coming from the clay body. Has anyone ever seen this before? Is there anything I can do to prevent it?

So glad to hear the answer to this. I've had this with my new Skutt, and when I called them I was told I got some of the lubricating oil on the wheel head and to clean it with acetone. I did that. Multiple times, and I still get the grime, too. Doesn't happen on the old wheels at the community center.

This happened when my shimpo was new. Everyone put it down to 'newness' and said it wouldn't last long. They were right. Two weeks later....panic over! Someone did say it happened because I was pressing down too hard on the wheel when throwing. I was new to throwing, and like you was worried it would turn my white clay a mucky colour.

Sally, That helps me understand why this started happening now, even though I have had the wheel for a year. I recently started trying to throw larger pieces — and as I figure out centering with more clay, I am undoubtedly applying too much pressure at times. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Archived