Photo

Qotw: Are You Showing Us The Best Piece You Made When Starting With Pottery?

Question of the week; best pieces; leaning curve;

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 GiselleNo5

GiselleNo5

Clay Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • LocationLos Osos, California

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:40 AM

I missed this one and it's a great topic! How lovely to see that we all started at similar places!

I've only been working with clay for four years, and throwing for two, so I don't really qualify. But in school I made exactly TWO pottery pieces. I'm seeing if I can track them down.

I create order from chaos. And also, chaos from order.

https://www.giselleno5ceramics.com/

GiselleNo5.etsy.com

YouTube-logo-full_color.png?resize=50%2C          instahack.png?1

#22 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:32 AM

..........but I'm still searching, I've found one of my first pinch pots, my very first slabbed (and rolled round a tube) pot and my very first ordinary slab built pot, I don't know where to look for my first thrown pot, but I'll find one of my first keepers for sure.

Then I need to get the camera out, (don't wait up,  I've got pots to glaze and fire). -_-

I started with ceramics about 12 years ago now, I've probably mentioned before that my wife had done it for about three years up to then and was constantly bringing home  small misshapen ugly objects - I wondered how hard it could be so had a go.

It was an evening class, run (in theory)  by Brockenhurst College who have a good ceramics dept - we were not at the college but at a community centre a few miles away in Lymington.

The course was only two hours per week (which is not enough) it was structured to some extent in that we first learnt how to make pinch pots, then coiled pots (never liked coiling) then slabbed pots of different types. This did teach us the basics of handling clay and how to join pieces together but that was about where the structured part stopped. Most of the class were happy with that, they weren't there to gain qualifications, just to play with clay.

Here's a few early pieces, obviously I've kept them, but I couldn't tell you why, (although I'm quite fond of the sculpture).

Early pinch pot, not the first but the earliest I can find.

Attached File  Pinchpotearly.jpg   221.49KB   3 downloads

Lidded slab pot, rolled around a cardboard tube, this is very the first one of these I made.

Attached File  rollpotearly.jpg   192.13KB   2 downloads

Built & lidded slab pot, again this is the very first of these I made.

Attached File  slabpotearly.jpg   195.89KB   1 downloads

Attached File  slabpot2early.jpg   175.1KB   1 downloads

Exciting glazes eh!!

And an early(ish) sculpture - probably about four years in - (but that's not a lot @ 80 hours per year).

Attached File  sculpture_moai.jpg   167.62KB   1 downloads

#23 Joseph F

Joseph F

Always Experimenting

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:15 PM

Will do for sure.  Wouldn't have asked it if I was not prepared to do this also.  Have to sort thru photos or old archived boxes of pots.

So I just resurrected this thread because: 

I just noticed that Mr Baymore never posted his first pot! 

#24 Stone Spiral

Stone Spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationKootenay Rockies, B.C

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:53 PM

Oooh, fun! Great thread.

~* Roxy *~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users