Red Stoneware Clay For An Aged Look?

I would like to hand build coil plant pots which have an aged darkened terracotta look about them. I don't have my own kiln and have been using a white stoneware clay provided by the pottery club I'm with so have been limited to what they use.

Iron oxide was sponged on to the White bisque stoneware pot in my first attempt to give it some sort of faux aged appearance when fired but this was not too successful,as the stoneware colour was still visible My question is : Would a red stoneware clay be a good starting point in achieving the look I'm after?

I am only new to ceramics so would appreciate all the advice you can share. Thank you 🙂

Yes stained red clay will help age the pottery vessels as in my gallery,

but for what you're trying to do, I would look into mixing a red pigment

into Hypertufa containers. They're cast planters for the out doors and

no kiln is involved!! :)

Alabama

Hi Judy,

I think you will find many answers here on the PC. But also look in the CAD archives. Alabama has a good idea for non fired pottery. Casting offers a few options to consider for the type of planters you want to make. You can also try casting cement. Cements stains are available from Stores like Home Depot or Lowe's.  But you can also try sculpture suppliers, like, http://www.sculpt.com/. They have many casting supplies.

If you want to work with clay, you can find some low cost, used, kilns by searching the big wide web, or ask around to see if anyone knows of anyone selling one. My first kiln, I still have it, is a Paragon A82B. Small, but really good for small loads and less electricity. And they are fairly easy to repair. I paid $175., from a friend that had it in storage. But also remember, kilns, even this small, require a higher voltage, so you will need to install a proper outlet. Best to consult an electrician on this.

Best wishes and success.

From his website --

"I also enjoy the process of making forms with coils and over the last 5 or 6 years have been making some medium sized vessels that are inspired largely by African pottery and to a lesser extent Neolithic Chinese pots. Many of these are stained with iron oxide and coated with a clay and wood ash slip."

He uses stoneware and fires a gas kiln in reduction.  http://www.rickhintzepottery.com/

An iron oxide wash can be made with red iron oxide, either gerstley borate or a ferro frit, and water.  The gerstley borate/frit help the red iron oxide melt so it does not rub off.  Many apply the red iron oxide wash during leather hard stage; others wait until bisque.  Either way can work; it depends on your style and the effect you are trying to achieve. 

If I were to make the vessel in your picture, I'd use red stoneware with extra grog, or mix red stoneware with High waters Craggy Crunch 50/50. I'd coil it the the desired height and roll the rim over...then bisque. After bisque, I'd glaze the interior, then cover the exterior with red iron oxide...or black iron oxide for the darker look. Then with a wet sponge start wiping the oxide off, rinse the sponge and wipe again, leaving uneven light to dark areas. At cone 10 some of the darker areas of oxides will burn off slightly.

Then high fire, and your vessel should look just like the one pictured!! :)

The vessel will take a couple or three hours... So pace yourself!

To avoid coiling fractures, make the coils in your hands, not on a table! AND

overlap them!

See ya,

Alabama

Archived