Supplies To Buy When Buying A First Wheel?

glazenerd

John:

Being around drills, saws, and compressors all my life has left me with a mild case of tinnitus. (ringing in ears). When I get around a continuous hum of a motor: it just magnifies the problem. So my choice of a very quiet Whisper VL is more than just function. I like the experiment idea of different types. Curt was kind of enough to send me a PM with his experiences with a Whisper VL: which was much appreciated as well. Appreciate all the help and advice given thus far: big TY to all.

Nerd 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John:

Being around drills, saws, and compressors all my life has left me with a mild case of tinnitus. (ringing in ears). When I get around a continuous hum of a motor: it just magnifies the problem. So my choice of a very quiet Whisper VL is more than just function.

Huh? What? You say something? :lol:  Me too but just the opposite; I hate quiet things. Thanks for making me notice mine again.... :blink:  :D

Guest JBaymore

Being around drills, saws, and compressors all my life has left me with a mild case of tinnitus. (ringing in ears). When I get around a continuous hum of a motor: it just magnifies the problem. So my choice of a very quiet Whisper VL is more than just function.

Nerd,

I do LOVE the quietness of the Whisper (aptly named).  I WISH that they had a bit more torque for the kind of bigger stuff I sometimes do. If they did.... I'd own one.  But for your likely needs... it will be great.

I don't have tinnitus... but I do have some hearing loss from a long while in my early life in the music industry.  That probably helps with me still using my really old Brent CXC :lol: .  I was playing professionally in clubs at the age of 13...and quit the music biz at about 24.  The same guy that designed the Whos' later sound system (out of E.U. Wurlitzer Co. in Boston) had a hand in Clear Sky's PA sound system (last band I played in)....... if that tells you anything ;)

I think you are going to LOVE the Whisper.

best,

......................john

Interesting John; have always loved music and was the sound mixer for several local bands in my younger days.  I owned a Studiomaster 24x4 x 2 mixer, 2 Altec/Lansing 'Voice of Theater" and 1 crown 300 and 1 crown 150: and a host of Shure 57/58 mics. My home stereo was a preamp, powered by a dual/monoural 300 amp Mitshi; 2 Ess Heil towers, and 2 pioneer CD63 4 ways...... Maybe my hearing problems was not drills after all.

Nerd

Guest JBaymore

Interesting John; have always loved music and was the sound mixer for several local bands in my younger days.  I owned a Studiomaster 24x4 x 2 mixer, 2 Altec/Lansing 'Voice of Theater" and 1 crown 300 and 1 crown 150: and a host of Shure 57/58 mics. My home stereo was a preamp, powered by a dual/monoural 300 amp Mitshi; 2 Ess Heil towers, and 2 pioneer CD63 4 ways...... Maybe my hearing problems was not drills after all.

Nerd

Nope,...... not drills and saws!  :lol:

AHhhhhh... those names are bringing back a few memories.  Sigh.  Sometimes I do miss it.

best,

.....................john

• 2 weeks later...

glaze nerd it is so exciting to see you get set up with the system. 

here are my few tips since i just 'got' centering 4 months ago. my biggest mistake - form. which you don't see in any throwing video. some allude to it  are you able to lock your arms comfortably? (while others were using bricks i had to use a bucket) is your head just past the ball of clay? like our TA says is your heart above the clay ball? change your balls of clay often. not more than 10 mins initially. and slowly cut down the time. there are so many subtleties involved that are hard to say. how you take your hands off the clay after coning. i always centered based on feel and not on sight. i could not tell by sight. a second pair of eyes are so helpful with centering.

my biggest breakthrough happened when things clicked in my brain. i was scared. when i realized forget so much focus on centering because you are constantly centering the clay as you open so its not just a one time centering thing. 

do you have john's throwing exercise doc? its a great way to begin after you get centering. 

needle tool : two kinds. one with the steel body and one with a finer needle. for a newbie it is much easier to cut the rim off with a finer needle too than the steel body one which has a slightly thicker needle. another use of the needle tool. helps with centering during trimming. it was a life saver for me. drawing a circle on the foot of a pot to see if it is centered on the wheel. i preferred that to using the needle tool on the side of the body. 

there is an art to lifting pots off the wheel and setting it down. while using finer grogged clay i've lost many a big bowl because i set the bowl down hard on the board and it immediately collapsed (mind you i dont throw with a lot of water as i initially started with). 

An update:

Spent most of the day at my suppliers place today. Looked through the tools: the Ziem trimming tools are way too small for my hands. Did pick up some Mud Works ribs, sponges, and a needle tool. Also bought some Xiem silicone ribs.

After a lengthy discussion on the Whisper XL and a Brent wheel: my supplier suggested I wait. He took me over to the class room that had both the Whisper and the Brent wheels: spent over two hours trying to center on both. The instructor spent over an hour with me; showing me tricks of the trade. My supplier then suggested I come over for the next few weeks for a few private lessons before I make a decision. Thought that was rather kind of him: way above the call of duty.

At the end of two hours: I got close to being centered. Oddly enough, I did better with my eyes closed. I took a couple of courses last winter: but too many people and only one teacher- so did not learn much. Never realized clay created so much back pressure, and took so much pressure to compress. He is going to replace his last two Brent wheels in his classrooms later this year. So I will take up his offer of using a Whisper for 90 days, and him taking it back with full refund if I do not like it ( or throwing).

Nerd

Very considerate supplier you have, Nerd. Wish all suppliers were as accommodating.

You aint kidding. Nerd, it doesn't take that much pressure, rather steadiness.  Posture made a huge difference to me too. I raised my wheel up and now throw stadning and it made a huge difference. Here's a homework assignment that's right up your alley. Do some research/testing on what wheel height feels better to you. Start with 4" wheel height increments and see what feels better. Try to center but you dont have to get it right just yet. Comfort is the result you're after. I've worked at work bench heights my whole life so getting the wheel off the floor works better for me. I still have to have some downward angle to my arms though for best results.

Watch this, it might help with centering:

If you ever want to make a platter this video is my all time favorite for platter making-its choked full of tips like the unicorn centering tip.

Check out the right way to throw a platter on page one that Bruce posted.Do not be eating or drinking while watching this one.

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/8268-dress-code-issues/?hl=%2Bplatter+%2Bvideo&do=findComment&comment=78422

I was working on something once that tied up one hand and  told my old boss, "I can't see with my glove on, pull it off for me". You should have seen the look on his face. :wacko:

Don't worry about pulling up, concentrate on centering. Try hands/arms at 4 and 7 with 1 pound , touch fingertips (lock some if you can) and squeeze the clay centered. (Push in with hands/palms on same plane as arms)

Empty your mind of everything you know in the physical construction world; it's not a lathe. Stop thinking "mud lathe" cause it aint. It's a circular squeezer/pusher/extruder". Clay isn't a material to be used for fabrication; it's a fluid  with a very high viscosity that needs to be reshaped in a desired direction.

Potters --

As Forum Moderators, we are extremely hesitant to hide or remove postings. We want the Forum to be an open market for all things pottery and ceramics. We also realize comments will stray off topic on occasion -- in fact, we have done so ourselves. Some recent posts to this thread have greatly strayed off topic and, whether intentional or not, could be construed as offensive or insensitive to members. As a group, we have decided to exercise our editorial judgement to remove those posts. We strongly believe all members should be able to read threads without feeling uncomfortable or offended by content. The best way to do that is to keep on topic and not stray too far off the discussion path.

Bruce -- On behalf of all the Forum moderators

• 2 weeks later...

Archived