How Much Should I Pay For Someone To Mix A Glaze For Me?

oceancity

Hi, 

I have a glaze I want to have made for me at a local studio. I'm wondering what I fair price would be for it so I can be informed when I approach the studio.

The recipe includes: nepheline syenite, ball clay, dolomite, zircopax, and bentonite

I didn't include the percentages because I was given this recipe by someone that asked me not to share it, but if that's important in determining the price I'll give a general percentage for them.

Thanks!

Assuming the studio buys their materials in bulk, i.e., by the 50 lb bag. Those ingredients, other than the Zircopax cost less than $1 per pound. Zircopax costs in the range of $2.50-$3.00. You can figure the rough cost of the ingredients and the it's a matter of how much is it worth for them to mix it. It would take less than an hour to weigh, mix and sieve the glaze.

A fair price to pay for a glaze is what you would be charged in the open market. The tax and accounting profession calls this "fair market value." If you are curious what the fair market value of a glaze mixture is, just go to the website of any of the vendors selling dry glaze mixes. Depending on the particular glaze, prices range around $3-4 per pound. A pound of dry glaze will make about a quart of liquid glaze. If you need them to fully prepare the glaze for you, their time should be compensated.

Archived