How To Remove Paint From Ceramics?

Ceramico

There's a trick I know as a model railroader that may work.Try it experimentally to a small area of your piece first though. Automobile brake fluid. We use it to remove paint from boxcars and engines.....just let it soak for awhile is what I've found works by experience AND NO HARSH abrasion to remove the paint PLEASE!

Hello everyone! Any advice for paint removal from a ceramic figurine?This are old pieces that I've bought second hand and intent to clean and glaze.Hope you can help.Thank you!

Are you sure they are ceramic?  

I know someone who did this and the statuettes were made of plaster, and another made of  ....... empty head......  some kind of translucent rock from Egypt.....

Good luck

We have re-fired acrylic painted pieces, that we know for absolute certain are ceramic - usually where a class member has started to paint a slip-cast item and then left.  It works well, and doesn't seem to have affected other items in the kiln.  You could try firing it in a sagger to protect other items in the kiln.

i think chilly means that you should fire the piece in a kiln to burn off whatever is on it.   then you can start again.  whatever paint it might be will be burned off.

Holland mold does make thousands of copies of these type figures in earthenware slip.  they usually fire at cone 06.  any hotter may melt the entire thing into a puddle like the warning posted in the ceramic store.  it was a kiln bottom onto which 6 or 7 pieces similar to this had melted into a mass.

i think chilly means that you should fire the piece in a kiln to burn off whatever is on it.   then you can start again.  whatever paint it might be will be burned off.

Exactly, thanks Old Lady, you must have been awake later than I was.

Hiii

Depends on what kind of paint and what kind of glaze. Most glazes are a form of glass. So long as the glaze is formulated properly, fired properly, and it fits the clay it is on chemicals shouldn't damage the glaze. Mechanical methods of paint removal could do considerable damage so don't use any type of abrasive like sandpaper or scrapers or scouring powder/pummice. Also, do not use heat. The rapid heating and cooling could cause the ceramic to break. Chemicals will be your best bet.

Start by soaking the bottom edge of the pot in a shallow dish of water. If that has some effect soak the whole thing down and scrub with a soft brush (not a wire brush). If that doesn't soften or remove the paint try soaking the bottom edge in a shallow dish of rubbing alcohol and see if that softens the paint. If so it is likely latex. Talk to your local paint store about chemicals for removing latex paint.

Thanks 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived