Mixed My A First Batch Of Glaze

Pugaboo

min, thank you for post number 33.  somehow i did not see it the first time, been glazing all week.  gawd, i HATE glazing!  wonder where i could find metric measuring cup?  will look for one.  promise it will make it easier?

jed, way in the middle of the last century our high school did an aptitude test for all of us.  i got scores in the 90 percentile in all subjects except math which was 33.  show me a map and i can find anything and drive to it without any problem but do not ask me to divide the check at a restaurant or figure a tip.  i knew there was a reason i like fast food.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wonder where i could find metric measuring cup

You can use any sort of "cup" (as somebody mentioned earlier a large syringe works well).

Slightly reworking jgrpots posting #27.

Measure:

E = weight of empty cup

W = weight of cup full of water

G = weight of cup full of glaze

Then the specific gravity = (weight of glaze)/(weight of same volume of water)

= (G-E)/(W-E)

Hope this helps rather than adds to the confusion.

PeterH - it's probably IS easier but you used brackets ( ) and that makes my brain go EEK. Studying this stuff was 35 years ago for me! But here goes in my befuddled way towards understanding....

So basically I measure the weight of my measuring cup, bowl, beaker, whatever.

I will use cup in my figuring just for simplicity.

Write that down for example that it weighs 20grams or E=20

Then I fill the same cup with water and it gives me for example 100grams or W=100

Next I measure the same cup full of glaze this time, and it's glaze I KNOW is mixed properly and that I want to repeat, and it gives me for example 140grams or G=140

Now to use the nerve racking brackets....

Then I use the glaze number of 140 grams and subtract the empty cup of 20 grams getting me 120grams

(140-20)

I then take the water filled cup of 100 grams and subtract the empty cup of 20grams getting me 80grams

(100-20)

So I have the numbers 120 and 80

=(120)/(80)

I divide these?

120/80 gives me 1.5

This makes my preferred specific gravity for this particular glaze 1.5?

T (Pugaboo) see brackets can be friendly too

This makes my preferred specific gravity for this particular glaze 1.5?

Yes, you've got it. ... I admire your choice of example numbers to simplify the arithmetic.

PS You can always cheat and put (140-20)/(100-20) into google, it gives me (140 - 20) / (100 - 20) = 1.5

min, thank you for post number 33.  somehow i did not see it the first time, been glazing all week.  gawd, i HATE glazing!  wonder where i could find metric measuring cup?  will look for one.  promise it will make it easier?

@ OldLady, if you just want to measure a volume of water, then yes I find metric measuring easier than imperial. (I'm not talking about measuring SG)

Archived