Tips On Using Porcelain

I started this wonderful Journey working with porcelain from day one because my partner, an experienced potter was using it exclusively and I guess as Mark says I know the ins and outs of our clay after 5-6 years now of working with it. I have a mixer and for a while made our own porcelain from scratch and while it was mostly fine we did have some cracking issues but we don't have cracking to any extent with the supply house brand we now use .

I was reading this thread and all the wonderful advice and plan to try some of all the great tips tips above to see if I notice a difference. Not knowing any better I just grab a bag of supply house pugged (or my re-pugged) porcelain and weigh out my throwing balls, lightly wedge (very little) and go to work. I admittedly throw too wet and I am working on that because I am tired of water all over the place during and after my daily throwing sessions. I'm getting faster these days so I guess that makes up for it and when I was slow (er) and things went to crap I just figured I needed to get better and faster  B)

I do put my daily mugs in a bun rack over night to slow the first drying off the bat (I know I leave them on the bat as I got tired of warped mugs - throwing to wet ) and again back in the rack for a day after handles but that's the only thing I do.

Not slamming all the great tips though and like I said I am going to try some of them, starting with weighing out tomorrows clay and letting it sit overnight. This has another benefit as I can get to my morning session that much faster every morning and I am curious if the feel of throwing will change. 

Archived