25 replies to this topic

#21 cagl84

cagl84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationRoanoke, Va

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:53 PM

Unfortunately,  she lives in Virginia and was just visiting for a while.  She outshines me in the pottery category.

Jed 

It was very nice to have full access to your studio. It got my creative juices flowing, and now my head is buzzing with ideas. Which is wonderful! Except of course for the fact that now I am home and have no where to work. =/ Guess I'll just have to come and visit again! =)

Also, I had to get my talent from somewhere, dad!

#22 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:59 PM

It is a real pleasure to experience this.

my daughter resisted clay, I guess because I was always covered in clay or stealing time to do clay.

Where is she now in her spare time? Attending pottery classes, even disappears when she comes home!!

I love it.

#23 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:12 PM

wherever you are in virginia, you can find a place to learn and work.  toss a stone far enough and you will hit a potter. (thank heavens i am over the border in west virginia because one more knock on the head will the the end of me.)

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#24 cagl84

cagl84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationRoanoke, Va

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:40 PM

wherever you are in virginia, you can find a place to learn and work.  toss a stone far enough and you will hit a potter. (thank heavens i am over the border in west virginia because one more knock on the head will the the end of me.)

=)

I have been researching places with open studio time. So far I have found two places. One has open studio time everyday from 9-7ish but they require me to take one of their pottery classes first. I'm not opposed to that, however the class times are not the most convenient for me. The other place doesn't require a class. However they only have open studio time one day a week. So it comes down to time in studio and of course the money for their memberships/drop in rates.  But I'm still looking. =)

#25 rakukuku

rakukuku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:58 PM

Well I love love love your forms. Would like to see them with very matte glaze or no glaze at all. Have you ever thought of combining different colored clays (naturally colored ones) in making your pieces? Might be cool. 

Glazing can be so hard. One reason I started to raku a  lot was that I got tired of making nice forms only to wreck them with my glazing which was usually a poor glaze choice for the form.  . A shino glaze might work well on your forms.  And I can also see them as wall pieces.  Gl and show us your progress.  rakuku

#26 cagl84

cagl84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationRoanoke, Va

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:33 PM

Well I love love love your forms. Would like to see them with very matte glaze or no glaze at all. Have you ever thought of combining different colored clays (naturally colored ones) in making your pieces? Might be cool. 

Glazing can be so hard. One reason I started to raku a  lot was that I got tired of making nice forms only to wreck them with my glazing which was usually a poor glaze choice for the form.  . A shino glaze might work well on your forms.  And I can also see them as wall pieces.  Gl and show us your progress.  rakuku

No, i hadn't though of using colored clay. But i do like the idea!

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users