Measuring

Benhim

When I measure glaze or anything for that matter I convert the percentages of the recipe into decimals and multiply by my final dry weight desired. This way makes perfect sense to me because I choose my desired quantity and then multiply it out, simple. Someone else suggested that multiplying the percentage directly to a number like 75. Is this how anyone here does glaze calc, can you see any advantage of this way of calculation?

Being somewhat math and chemistry challenged (not particularly a good thing for someone who mixes his own glazes), I mostly use Glazemaster -- enter the total weight of my glaze and let the software do the calculating.

Since most (but not all) glaze recipes are expressed as percentages that (hopefully) total to 100%, I just multiply the percentage into the total weight like you do. Which is what Glazemaster does, too.

I have a spreadsheet set up. Input the ingredients, and the percentages, then a place where I input how much I want to make (maybe 5 lbs for a large batch, or 0.5 lbs for a test batch), and it converts everything into grams, since that's the scale mode I choose.

I have a spreadsheet set up. Input the ingredients, and the percentages, then a place where I input how much I want to make (maybe 5 lbs for a large batch, or 0.5 lbs for a test batch), and it converts everything into grams, since that's the scale mode I choose.

Hey that's a great idea, I can't believe I've got all these skills and I didn't do that already.

Hey that's a great idea, I can't believe I've got all these skills and I didn't do that already.

I have been using a spread sheet set up for years now, and have all of the glazes I use, and many of the recipes for others in the database as well. Printed out they make a pretty good book of glazes. I have mine set up for 5000 and 7500 grams as this seems to make up batches to work with my large and small buckets.

I have been using a spread sheet set up for years now, and have all of the glazes I use, and many of the recipes for others in the database as well. Printed out they make a pretty good book of glazes. I have mine set up for 5000 and 7500 grams as this seems to make up batches to work with my large and small buckets.

It's funny that you mention batch weights. I was just thinking about that the other day. So you're doing 7500 grams of a non plastic dry glaze in a 5 gallon bucket Pres?

It's funny that you mention batch weights. I was just thinking about that the other day. So you're doing 7500 grams of a non plastic dry glaze in a 5 gallon bucket Pres?

Yes, I believe that is the size of the floor wax buckets I used to get at school and now buy at Lowes.

I've got this little program on my computer that my tech geek step dad gave me called convert. One of the best inventions of the computer age. This little tool allows you to convert anything into another like measurement. It's amazingly handy.

I've got this little program on my computer that my tech geek step dad gave me called convert. One of the best inventions of the computer age. This little tool allows you to convert anything into another like measurement. It's amazingly handy.

I have used a "look up table" in spread sheets before to do conversions for me where I want to ounces instead of grams, but do a conversion of grams to cups, as I work/weigh so that I will know in the future.

Guest JBaymore

I have used a "look up table" in spread sheets before to do conversions for me where I want to ounces instead of grams, but do a conversion of grams to cups, as I work/weigh so that I will know in the future.

Hey Pres....... I'm a bit confused there. Grams to cups? One is weight measure and the other is volume measure. A cup can hold varying weights of the same raw material, depending on how densely it is packed into the cup. I assume that I am missing something?

best,

...............john

The convert tool I have allows you to select any category of measurement, then compare to another like measurement in the same category. Such as gram to ounce in what they call the mass category. Cubic centimeter to ounce in the volume tab. Some of the volume doesn't make sense to me.

Hey Pres....... I'm a bit confused there. Grams to cups? One is weight measure and the other is volume measure. A cup can hold varying weights of the same raw material, depending on how densely it is packed into the cup. I assume that I am missing something?

best,

...............john

Maybe you misunderstood the gist of the sentence, or I was not precise enough: but do a conversion of grams to cups, as I work/weigh so that I will know in the future. In other words, if I wish to convert a recipe to volume measure, I weigh out the grams, measure it, then write down the volume measure. If doing a glaze where I do everything the same time after time-not packing, leveling off even etc. This works, but the measures have to be simple or it is not worth it.

Guest JBaymore

I also have a look up table with the material costs in it, so that when I calculate a batch, I also know what that batch will cost me.

That. . . . . is a neat idea, will have to consider it!

That cost function is also built right into Insight. As well as keeping a number of images of the glaze strored in the database record of the glaze.

best,

............john

Guest JBaymore

Wow you guys are on it. I don't have my process dialed in like that.

43 years as a professional....... it helps. Might get somewhat OK at this ceramics crap before I die. wink.gif Nah...... never happen. Too much to know and too much to do.

best,

.......................john

I also have a look up table with the material costs in it, so that when I calculate a batch, I also know what that batch will cost me.

That cost function is also built right into Insight. As well as keeping a number of images of the glaze strored in the database record of the glaze.

best,

............john

I have been considering the purchase of Insight after all of the discussion here. I had used a trial version years ago and liked it. Back then though I was occupied with other things and a little $ strapped.

Guest JBaymore

I have been considering the purchase of Insight after all of the discussion here. I had used a trial version years ago and liked it. Back then though I was occupied with other things and a little $ strapped.

Dowload the fully functional Level 1 demo and see if you still like it. Tony has changed some stuff... and it gets better and better all the time. The demo does not open up the Level 2 online reference functions..... which are GREAT.... but you unfortunately can't see that in the demo.

best,

................john

• 10 months later...

best,

............john

John

I recently found my old glaze book from my days as a production potter in the 70's and early 80's. I noticed that a bunch of the receipes are like cake receipes in that they are a batch of materials that don't add up to 100%. Does Insight have a conversion capabilty that would allow me to easily convert them to the % method without doing all the math?

Thanks

Archived