Finishing Cutting Board

The grout isn't the problem it is the wood edges, they are going to shrink away from anything you put in the groove.  That is the nature of wood,  at least you can regrout when it needs it.   I have used a lot of different kind of grouts.   Urethane is the most waterproof but would probable fall at the fastest, Epoxy is harder to remove when it was time to regrout.  They make a additive that you can add to regular grout to make it more waterproof,  i wouldn't think you need that for a cheese board.  The only other idea I have is some metal strips that push into the groove, maybe something from a stain glass shop.  Denice

actually trying both ways but prototyping a new product so will be doing 20 -30 at a time so no matter how close I know there will be a gap here and there, hopefully small but want the finish work to be clean and neat. I will try both grout and sealer. Bummer that whatever I use will eventully pull away though.

I am trying to keep the board as one piece with inlayed tile instead of building a frame around it. Building the frame is the plan B but will make it more expensive to do an I am trying to keep the finished product just under $50

Do you have pix of the prototype?

What kind of wood are you using?

Sorry JohnnyK, we've been at a show since Thursday and missed this post. Will post pics of the first prototypes. Was planning to use either maple or walnut. What wood would you recommend?

Archived