Photo

Qotw: What Other Things Beside Clay Have You Mastered?

QOTW; mastering things; education;

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 4,170 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:14 PM

JOhn B oh so modest one of those people who could do anything and does.

Oh so not true.  I screw up with the best of em'.

best,

.............................john

John Baymore
Adjunct Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

Former Guest Professor, Wuxi Institute of Arts and Science, Yixing, China

Former President and Past President; Potters Council

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

http://www.nhia.edu/...ty/john-baymore

#42 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:09 AM

JOhn B oh so modest one of those people who could do anything and does.

Oh so not true.  I screw up with the best of em'.

best,
.............................john

But prob. bigger!!! and with much more finesse??

#43 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 4,170 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:13 AM

But prob. bigger!!! and with much more finesse??

Go big or go home. ;)

best,

...................john

John Baymore
Adjunct Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

Former Guest Professor, Wuxi Institute of Arts and Science, Yixing, China

Former President and Past President; Potters Council

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

http://www.nhia.edu/...ty/john-baymore

#44 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:56 AM

😁😁😁 only way!

#45 Kellykopp

Kellykopp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSE Indiana

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:51 AM

Mastered......nothing.  Enjoy.....gardening both veggies and flowers; when I was younger I loved riding horses, was a decent shot of both primitive bow and muzzleloader. I find beadwork relaxing. I do pre-1840 historical re-enactments for a hobby, so I also enjoyed making and decorating buckskin dresses, Hunting and fishing.  Within the last several years I help cows have their calves.  Reading and learning things.  Piddled around on electric guitar, sang/screamed in a punk band.  Perhaps the only thing I have "mastered" is the love I have in my heart for family, friends, and the natural world we live in.

#46 arcadiax

arcadiax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:02 PM

I am currently trying to master the art of licking my own nose...

#47 Rae Reich

Rae Reich

Rae - Unusual Clay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:08 PM

Well, I've mastered the art of keeping former lovers and exes (2) as friends. And had the pleasure of working together with four of them to build my home addition, to my design and under my direction, while they lived on my premises 5 days a week (with no fringe benefits - they're exes!). That was most satisfying.

Mastered reading under almost any circumstances - with Kindle, I can even read while washing dishes (a dream when books were only paper).

Skilled at philosophy, typing, editing, indexing, proofreading and data entry. Typed (I miss touch typing, too, Chilli, iPads are great for many things, but not that) and edited my former husband's philosophy book, "Hume's Religious Naturalism." (He wasn't one of my construction crew, though)

Provided live-in elder care for Granny (d. 1976, age 88) and Mom (d. 2002, age 84), so I feel that I can master my own "art of dying," at least twenty years from now.

Competent in: sketching, sewing, crafting, carpentry, house painting, decorating, inventing ways to do stuff. Cooking, gardening, I grow tomatoes in the summer, roast and freeze them to make Grandma-in-Law's Tomato Gravy all year - my Baked Ziti is superb!

Mastered wallpapering with brown paper bags on old plaster walls.

Never far from my sketch/idea book. Sometimes I come across unlabeled old drawings and have fun figuring out what I was figuring out.

Terrible at waiting for a trout to bite, they know I'd rather be reading.

Clay and I will always be co-workers, mastery is tantalizingly elusive.
  • Min likes this

#48 alabama

alabama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationSlapout

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:34 PM

Dog obedience training.

#49 RonSa

RonSa

Still learning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationNortheast Pa

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:31 PM

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." - Pablo Picasso

I wouldn't say I'm a master of anything but I can do a bunch of things well.

I paint in oils, acrylics and watercolors. I do plumbing and electrical work. I've built an extension to our home. I do fine woodworking and about a third of the furniture in our home I built. I play the guitar now for over 50 years. I thoroughly enjoy woodturning.

I ran my own business for 30 years, raised two beautiful and successful daughters and still married to my first wife, a wonderful woman.  

Now I'm starting to learn how to throw mud. I think I'm swirling into a new vortex of no return.

Ron

#50 terrim8

terrim8

oh oh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:34 PM

Mastering things?

Not that much mastered but I like to knit, garden, paint with acrylics sometimes, hike, run,bike, ski. I took my level 1 ski instructor's cert. a few years ago just to see if I could do it. Tried back country skiing up at Bow Summit, AB. Might try that again.  Can't seem to get the hang of telemark skiing- guess my knees are not up to that. Spent a lot of time in remote areas so navigation by pre-GPS methods had to be mastered via maps + airphotos . (GPS & sat photos are so much easier now). I like visiting galleries & museums. That's about it.

#51 SydneyGee

SydneyGee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:24 PM

Wiggling my nose, spitting a grape up into the air and catching it in my mouth again, catching lizards/amphibians/snakes by hand, and living on a boat with no electricity for a year. Not much to "master" but I also love to design logos, professional makeup, garden, paint/sketch/ink, and hiking. Can you even master hiking? Not sure what that would entail, but pretty sure Muir would have anyone beat.

Might as well admit it, i'm addicted to clay....

#52 rakukuku

rakukuku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:32 PM

I have by no means mastered clay. In fact, I am its prisoner - chasing elusive results that I seldom achieve. But there is fun in the pursuit.

I have mastered being comfortable in my own skin and in quickly throwing together decent meals out of whatever is around.  rakuku

#53 Joyce

Joyce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:13 PM

I agree with others, I have not mastered anything. I do many things well, like wood working, sewing, training dogs, gardening, baking and organizing. To say one has mastered pottery would be quite difficult since there are so many facets to it.

#54 PRankin

PRankin

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY, USA

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:15 PM

Working with clay is an ongoing learning experience so I can't say that I've mastered that but I'm extremely comfortable and confident in my abilities. I obtained a very high level of proficiency with tennis and inline skating, including teaching both, but my skills have been declining as I get older. However, I've mastered the art of gaining weight every fall and winter and losing it in the spring.

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users