Ventilation System Needed?

Kari

Hello, 

Hoping to get some advice..  I am debating whether to buy a small kiln, or just use a local kiln firing service. 

I have been emailing with an employee of the Big Ceramic Store about this kiln: http://www.bigceramicstore.com/paragon-11-9-3.html

I asked the employee if I could bring this kiln outside when I need to fire, instead of installing a ventilation system in my house. He said that I could move it outside to fire as needed, but that small kilns like this don't usually need a ventilation system when used indoors. Is this true information?

Thanks! 

Yes, you can move a tiny kiln like that outside to fire, but remember that it's not just the firing up time, but also the cooling time, so you want to make sure there won't be any weather for the entire cycle. You'll still get some fumes from tiny kilns, but it's usually not bad enough to be a problem unless you're firing something really toxic like lusters. A fan near a window should take care of normal firings.

Yes, you can move a tiny kiln like that outside to fire, but remember that it's not just the firing up time, but also the cooling time, so you want to make sure there won't be any weather for the entire cycle. You'll still get some fumes from tiny kilns, but it's usually not bad enough to be a problem unless you're firing something really toxic like lusters. A fan near a window should take care of normal firings.

Thanks Neil, that's helpful info. 

I have a small test kiln in my kiln room, it isn't ventilated like my big kilns.  I just open the window a few inches,  I do have a exhaust fan in the ceiling that I also run.  If it is really cold outside I leave the window closed and run the exhaust fan. I never smell any fumes from it.  Denice

unless you're firing something really toxic like lusters.

Neil, an off-topic question that has interested me for some time. Any idea what causes the toxicity during luster firings?

Two obvious candidates are:

- Fumes from the combustion of the resinates themselves.

- Fumes from the various "industrial" solvents used.

I've been shown round a few soldering lines, both manual and automatic, and can attest to the undesirable nature of rosin/

resinate fumes. It was also noticeable that last-years (or the last decades) preferred "industrial" solvent was often phased-out

due to newly discovered/admitted H&S issues.

A third possibility is of course:

- Fumes from historic solvents such as real turpentine, spike oil, etc.

I just got the small L&L kiln and put a vent on it since I mainly plan on firing laser transfers in it and they do stink as the coating burns away. I will also run test pieces and glazes through it and will be trying get the small kiln to match the firing results of the big kiln as much as possible.

T

Archived