Qotw: Would You Laugh At Me If I Told You That I Am Using A Gg?

Just because Giselle asked, if you want to practice tap centring, try it with a coffee can weighted with a bit of sand or grog first. That way you're not ruining pots while you figure out how much pressure to use. When you graduate to using pots, low shallow forms are the most user friendly to start with. When you can do it in under 30 seconds (easier than it sounds), you can dampen the wheelhead and the pot will suction down as it absorbs that skim of water. It's actually quite difficult to dislodge if you do it right, and you don't have to mess around with clay wads, or work around little Giffen feet. I was taught that trimming should be done at high speed, but with a light touch on your trimming tool. If you have to apply so much pressure that you're shifting the pot, either your tool is dull or you're trimming too dry.

Still not against "the grip." Do what you gotta.

Hmmmm.... I don't have a GG maybe I should get one I'm feeling left out! lol Think I am developing GG envy.

One of the things I do use is an extruder and sometimes get looks from other potters when I say I use one. I make boxes and other hollow forms A LOT. I can roll out, cut and assemble a boxes 6 side but if I can pull 4 of those walls in the extruder and just add the other 2. Imagine the amount of time savings in that! I have also begun making my own extruder plates to get the shapes and sizes of pulls I want. I use it to pull mug blanks, boxes of varying sizes and shapes, handles, feet, footrings, coils, etc. I am getting ready to make a plate for a cracker tray that I am also hoping can be used as the basis for a soap dish. Still testing that out. An extruder doesn't make a completed product for you it simply speeds up the process to make the products you do. IMO

I have a wheel but have discovered with my spinal issues I can't do production on it only have fun for very short periods of time. It's one of the reasons I use the extruder as much as I do since some of the same forms can be made on each. I have a slab roller and it's probably the most important piece of equipment in my studio. But them all the potters around here either have one or have access to use one so nobody blinks an eye at that.

T

Pug-we use our extruders (two of them) almost daily but mostly for handles- they are great for soap dishes-hollow forms and teapot lugs as well. Making your own dies really opens up the use factor.Glad its working so well for you.

I have tap centered in the past, and am pretty good at it, I also have centered using my hands dry on bowls and cylinders with the wheel moving. Just enough pressure and speed does it. Then chock. However, I find that the GG works better for me. I really don't know how much longer it takes me to trim and assemble chalices by hand, but I do know it is so much quicker and easier with the GG.

best,

Pres

Thank you my forum QOTW friends for all your answers to my last weeks question. I agree with everybody saying that a beginner should first learn to trim without a GG. Tap centering? Want to know how many chawan I broke in trying that? I think it was more like martial art than tap centering what I did :rolleyes:

oldlady: thank you for telling me that you all love me, despite my using a GG :wub:

I love you all too and I am really happy that you all take part in all the QOTW's.

On to the next one....

Archived