How To Get This Glaze Look?

jmpeden

Some matte glazes will do this on their own, completely dependent on application.  Usually I see these glazes go darker when thin and go opaque when layered thicker - which in this case you're seeing brush strokes. Also look at the thick spots in the recesses of the texture on the left side, opaque.

post-2190-0-41266400-1466643701_thumb.jpg

Vase in foreground is Standard 266 clay (dark brown) with white Bringle slip brushed on and wiped off of from high spots.  Soda ash wash applied before firing.  Feldspar inclusions.  Cone 6, oxidation.  Rear vase is Laguna Dark Brown clay, wood fired, cone 10, reduction. 

post-2190-0-41266400-1466643701_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gif266_vase.JPG

Vase in foreground is Standard 266 clay (dark brown) with white Bringle slip brushed on and wiped off of from high spots.  Soda ash wash applied before firing.  Feldspar inclusions.  Cone 6, oxidation.  Rear vase is Laguna Dark Brown clay, wood fired, cone 10, reduction. 

Those are beautiful vases. I love the dark look on the top part of the wood fired one. Brilliant.

attachicon.gif266_vase.JPG

Those are beautiful vases. I love the dark look on the top part of the wood fired one. Brilliant.

It sat behind the stack and on the floor between the two chambers; the top part got the flame, the bottom part did not as the flames exited the flue between the wood and soda chambers at that height.  All a matter of placement. 

Archived