Just An Other Newbie

Hi, hello, good evening or morning to you all wherever you are in the big wide  world.
I thought I'll pluck up the courage and say hello and let you all know how much I enjoy reading the topics and your posts. I  feel like I'm in heaven skipping from one discussion  to an other, discovering more every time.​I've been living in the UK for the past 9 years but originally from Hungary. I started my friendship with Mr. clay four years ago and it was love at first sight. Needless to say we can't stay away from each other too long. Joke aside.....
​I attend to a class once a week what I really enjoy and my teacher is fab, always there to help if needed. I am constantly on the wheel but equally happy hand building as long as I can play with clay.  I managed to get hold o​f a wheel last year and a second hand front loader kiln which I had the elements changed this week. So I am in a process of having my little corner set up. Its all really exciting and awfully terrifying at the same time. I am fairly confident and have a good foundation but there is so much more to learn and so many things to consider. I am sure  I'll get there one day with lots and lots of practice and dedication. I enjoyed my journey with Mr clay so far and looking forward to the challenges ahead.​
​I'll be around with a few questions or might even join in sharing my experiences I had so far. One thing for sure, I'll be around reading, taking in all the knowledge and information's you wise people share.
​Lovely forum.
 â€‹See you around

Welcome aboard Tandi, join the obsession. Clay and glaze is the one craft where learning is equal parts education and "doing." It is also 50 percent learning what to do from instructors, and learning what not to do by making mistakes. Mistakes are just as much part of clay education as doing things right.

Nerd

hello, tandi,  good to see you are still hand in hand with mr clay.  it was so nice to see that you have been reading the website for a time.  you have already learned a lot by doing that.  hope you continue to love mr clay, even though he will upset you sometimes and you may regret (for a moment only) ever having touched him.  there is so very much you can learn, hope you have a very long love affair. :wub:

Thank you for the kind words everyone.

I got the cantering under my belt using my teacher's ' breath through your armpits' trick. Deep down I know I should just get on and practice as much as I can on the wheel before I get carried away purchasing all the glazes etc. Still loads to get done, building a wedging table, finding the right type of clay and finding time for all.

I'll be around 😊

Hello!

I'm also a newbie, not only to clay but also to the forums (although I have been lurking for a good while, now.)

I took ceramics classes 30 years ago and picked it up once again just this spring...and wondered why I ever stopped. (Oh, yeah...I was young and broke and not brave enough to step outside my comfort zone!) So, I'm at square one, learning, practicing...and making an awful lot of bowls...

• 2 weeks later...

So 'breath through your armpits' 😊

Clay on the wheel roughly in the middle, your arms resting on the wheel.

Wet your hands/clay so you can start of putting right hand first like you would cup the lump of clay with your thumb resting on top of the clay and your left hand over lapping your right hand .

When you are ready , wheel on high speed, ( 1step)start pulling the clay towards you while pushing it down with your thumb at the same time. ( here comes in the breath through your armpits as its a funny sensation of holding your breath back)

(2nd step)Cone the clay up push it away from you and repeat the action of 1st step until your clay is centred.

Hard work but with lots of practice,you'll get there.

Make sure your clay it's always damp.

I used to be very messy with my clay due to using far too much water, but I'm much better now .

Archived