Am I On The Right Track?

Hello! 

After hours of research online, and racking my brain trying to remember everything I learned in the ceramics class I took 5 years ago, I've found myself here hoping to get some direction! 

I would like to purchase materials to be able to create 10" by 10" plaques that have a handprint/footprint impression to hang on a wall. After my research, this is what I have come up with.. (Please tell me if something is wrong in my process, or if I am not considering something)

1. Roll out low fire clay to 1/2 inch thick, and make hand/foot impression

clay I will use: 

https://www.amazon.com/Amaco-45015Y-Earthenware-Modeling-Multi-Purpose/dp/B000KI7QAY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1466142915&sr=8-2&keywords=low+fire+clay

2. Cut to 10" by 10" shape and allow to dry completely

3. Stack 3-4 pieces in kiln and do bisque firing to Cone 04

kiln i will use:

http://www.bigceramicstore.com/cress-bt511kt-kiln-1353.html

4. Apply glaze to pieces 

glaze I will use:

https://www.amazon.com/Sax-True-Flow-Gloss-Glaze/dp/B003V1BOUK/ref=pd_sim_328_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51dma4Ztu1L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR248%2C320_&psc=1&refRID=KV9J72DKNVWSPYAEJ283

5. Stack 3-4 pieces in kiln and do glaze firing to Cone 06

Does this sound right?? Am I buying the right kind of kiln?

Other questions I have: 

- Because this kiln is so small, can I just move it outside to fire instead of firing inside with a ventilating system?

- How do I know how long to fire for both bisque and glaze firings?

I really appreciate any help I can get! :)

where do you live? That is expensive clay you are using.

If you can find a distributor near you, you may get a better selection of clay and some advice to go with it.

I think the all-purpose clay may not really be good hand building clay, but that is just my opinion.

Marcia

Are you wanting to work with clay after this project?  I would fire each tile individually, the depth it is to tight to get 2 tiles in it.  You need to get some kiln wash for your shelf in case  of a glaze accident.  I know there are private and commercial stores that will do firing,  the ceramic supplier in my area does a lot of it.  You need to get a book on ceramics, handbuilding and firing, you will have more questions that can be answered on a forum. I have been working with clay for 40 years and will still grab a reference book now and then.   Denice

Even for bisque I do not recommend stacking 3 or 4 half inch thick tiles on top of each other. You're essentially creating a piece that's 2" thick, which could crack or blow up. Use shelves or put some spacers between them.

Ayjay is correct, you will not fit a 10" tile into that kiln. At best you'll get about a 6" tile. For 10" tiles you need an 18" wide kiln, which will have 15" shelves, and you lose another 2-3 inches for kiln posts.

where do you live? That is expensive clay you are using.

If you can find a distributor near you, you may get a better selection of clay and some advice to go with it.

I think the all-purpose clay may not really be good hand building clay, but that is just my opinion.

Marcia

Thanks for the tip, Marcia. I live in Portland, OR and there is a ceramics shop fairly close to my house. I'll go in and get some advice from them. 

Are you wanting to work with clay after this project?  I would fire each tile individually, the depth it is to tight to get 2 tiles in it.  You need to get some kiln wash for your shelf in case  of a glaze accident.  I know there are private and commercial stores that will do firing,  the ceramic supplier in my area does a lot of it.  You need to get a book on ceramics, handbuilding and firing, you will have more questions that can be answered on a forum. I have been working with clay for 40 years and will still grab a reference book now and then.   Denice

Thanks for the help Denice. Do you have a recommendation for a good reference book(s)? 

Even for bisque I do not recommend stacking 3 or 4 half inch thick tiles on top of each other. You're essentially creating a piece that's 2" thick, which could crack or blow up. Use shelves or put some spacers between them.

Ayjay is correct, you will not fit a 10" tile into that kiln. At best you'll get about a 6" tile. For 10" tiles you need an 18" wide kiln, which will have 15" shelves, and you lose another 2-3 inches for kiln posts.

Thank you Neil! That's good to know!

Archived