Website Development, What Do You Use?

Just wanna clarify I'm not slamming godaddy, I haven't used them in years they could have fixed a lot of their issues. I am assuming this so thing was outsourced and they probably don't know this is happening. I worked a job once where ATT outsourced their sales to us to get clients in a new area, so I know it can happen.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went back to review my account and found several things that were suppose to have been removed like a separate gallery domain and email marketing which I don't use.I removed them and got confirmation. The salesman who called me about SEO was on the Go daddy caller ID. I may call them back and ask more about that. It was somewhat high pressure.

I do love the website builder and the ease of updating information, photos, etc. Their customer service has always been good. Lat time though, I waited so long I had the problem solved just before the person said hello.

Marcia

ok, now all you experts can laugh at the silly oldlady question.  why is it that nearly all  i mean ALL websites, even major corporations, do not have a date telling me when info was posted?  so many websites tell me all about an upcoming event which is dated with only a month and day.   research shows it was 2 years ago.  

it must be very hard to enter information with a date because i have tried to contact companies who are out of business and potters who have died.

and that does not cover the many people who do not realize that everyone in the world does NOT know where they are.  listing a location, Springfield, does not identify the state or even the country where the upcoming event will happen. "but everyone knows where we are"  is the usual answer i get if i call to ask where something will be held.  do you know how many states have a city or town named Springfield?

rant over.

@oldlady, this is a rant of mine too. I change my search results on google to within a year for this very reason when I am looking for something up to date. I can't stand websites that post articles with time sensitive data and dont leave a post created date or anything. 

"This event closes in two weeks!" .... from when? 

I had it pointed out to me a few months ago that my name was nowhere on my website. I did fix that.

It seems like people either over share (I don't need your home address, but the town you live in is a good idea), or neglect to include important details.

Wow! This looks like a great organization that supports local artisans, how do I get involved?

Scrolling

Scrolling

Scrolling

Scrolling

Oh. They're in Britian.

Joseph--I get 404 Not Found from the post here and from the Google address bar. So I just had to type it into the search field, and that worked. Looks like a good deal to me!  I am going to check it out for my website --thanks!

To whom it may..... I talked w/a Go Daddy tech the other day about another issue and asked about the SSL thing. He provided a very reasonable-sounding rationale for having it at all, and a very no-pressure pitch for paying their fee of $69 a year for their SSL"service". No flak when I declined, but he certainly didn't tell me about an open source alternative LOL. 

lee,

the go daddy salesman said that by the end of the year Google search engine will not be recognizing non secure websites.

meanwhile, I do love the customer service on go daddy. they have always been helpful. Patient and solved the problems or helped me through processes. once I got the hang of it. Editing and updating is easy.

Joseph--I get 404 Not Found from the post here and from the Google address bar. So I just had to type it into the search field, and that worked. Looks like a good deal to me!  I am going to check it out for my website --thanks!

To whom it may..... I talked w/a Go Daddy tech the other day about another issue and asked about the SSL thing. He provided a very reasonable-sounding rationale for having it at all, and a very no-pressure pitch for paying their fee of $69 a year for their SSL"service". No flak when I declined, but he certainly didn't tell me about an open source alternative LOL. 

Lee I have no idea what the heck is going on with that link. I changed it to the about page and it worked fine. lol. very odd. anyways, yea so, Let's Encrypt is a result of the whole google talks thing back in 2014. They are backed on donations from major businesses, like Mozilla, Chrome, etc etc. I read a lot of news on stuff like this, a community that I am a part of has changed hundreds of their paid domains SSL certs to Let's Encrypt and have had no issues. No one is going to tell you about this business, because they are on a path to put other businesses out of business. In fact a large competitor of Let's Encrypt is Comodo. They are actually trying to register Let's Encrypt(trademark) under Let's Encrypt's nose. It is pretty shady business tactic and a lot of people are dropping Comodo as a result of this. You can read more about it here: https://letsencrypt.org/2016/06/23/defending-our-brand.html.

I still have no plans on issuing certs on my sites or my clients sites, I have discussed this with them and they don't see a reason to go to it as of right now, they are not sending/receiving any data that needs to be encrypted to protect the users of that site. Until I see hard evidence from a Google post I am just going to continue my belief that "Google won't recognize your site" is a bunch of malarky.

Wow! This looks like a great organization that supports local artisans, how do I get involved?

Scrolling

Scrolling

Scrolling

Scrolling

Oh. They're in Britian.

Dittto

Dittto

Dittto

Dittto

Dittto

Oh. They're in the USA

Marcia---I am interested in where you got that too....what is "it"? See, they know where we are, who we are, what we do, and presume to know our interests to boot! Joseph...pardon my ignorance...what is the essential cost/burden that would hinder or hamper ISRG from pursuing obtaining the trademark for Let's Encrypt, itself???  Nasty business, really! 

In general with trademarks you don't have to actually register them, just by using them and no one contesting it you gain rights to it. You can read more about that here: http://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/trademarks/basics/BasicFacts.pdf on page 9 at the bottom it explains it in more detail. So what was basically happening in my eyes and the eyes of most internet people was that Comodo was trying to register it under their noses so they could then sue/or threaten Let's Encrypt to change their name, which would ruin their branding. For some odd reason Comodo thinks that ISRG is a business, but in fact they are not, they are a for public organization. So LE isn't really a competitor in a business since, but they are in fact hurting the business model of many certificate authorities. 

Today Comodo filed for an accelerated abandonment of the registration of those trademark filings. Meaning basically they have gave up the right to even try to claim them. Probably from the backlash of internet pitch forks. Many people have dropped thousands of dollars worth of certs with Comodo because of this underhanded practice. There is a huge thread on hacker news about it, and more people are planning on dropping them when they come up for renewal.

So the reason they haven't filed for it is really there isn't a need too. It is expensive to register a trademark if you a new business. That is why you see so many people using TM/SM instead of the R with a circle around it. These symbols mean you are effectively saying that you have claimed that mark as your own.

Hope that helps. The more you knoowwwww.....  :rolleyes:

EDITed: for english, man i can't type late at night.

I have checked the number of hits for the month as of June 26 and it has surpassed my busiest month which was feb. It has reached 3840 for the month. 8% coming from Google which is up from 2% and another 2% from Google UK. So that is just an interesting observation.

The software package you choose for your website should be based upon a really large number of factors. The first thing you need to do is create a list of "must have" requirements, and a list of "nice to have" requirements.

For example, if you want a website that "must have" a fully functioning self-contained ecommerce solution, you can pare down your choices. If you want one that can integrate with various shipping modules to offer customers multiple shipping options, you can pare it down even more.

One might have a requirement for responsive templates (friendly for both desktop and mobile) which once again limits your choices.

Of course, the cost to implement is a primary concern. Every bell and/or whistle you add is likely to cost you more, either in development time or in cash outlay for someone else to do it.

Perhaps you want to be able to shoot an RSS feed to Google shopping... you need https on your entire site now to qualify. (trust me, it just cost us over $1000 to convert our entire site to https and create the correct feed format just to get google to accept our RSS feed... they are really strict on this now.)

We also had a requirement for each product to be easily attached to all major social media outlets including facebook and pintrest, which comes with obvious advantages. Most platforms do not offer this as an option.

The more requirements you have, the more complex things become, and the more expensive it becomes. You have to look at the cost and as a business owner, weigh the cost against the benefit.

There are currently 2 major free fully functional ecommerce platforms out there that can do pretty much everything you can ever imagine. The first is Zencart. Completely open-source, there are literally thousands and thousands of free templates out there that can help you customize it. But of course, with so many options for customization, the learning curve is extreme, but the community support is amazing.  The other is Magento, which was the solution we chose. Magento is actually developed by a for-profit company, but they do have a free version. We spent a significant amount having our website customized to our rather demanding specs, but we required a world-class website to be competitive. The website can be viewed by the link in the signature block below. This is an example of what you can do with a good development team and a strong budget. It is fully responsive across all platforms and does pretty much everything we could imagine.

Our primary website is at the far end of the spectrum, and few studio potters could even consider such an outlay.  But it is also important to realize that you can quickly outgrow a limited platform. The cost to move from one platform to another because it does not provide options you later decide you need can be brutal. We figured it best to shoot for the stars and get the development costs behind us as soon as possible.  

Like I said, make a list of every feature you cannot live without today. Then add a list of everything you won't be able to live without if you doubled your business. Then compare your list to the platforms available. You will find your match. If it sounds complex, well, that is because it IS complex. It requires research, time, and effort. There is no "one-size-fits-all" solution.

Perhaps you want to be able to shoot an RSS feed to Google shopping... you need https on your entire site now to qualify. (trust me, it just cost us over $1000 to convert our entire site to https and create the correct feed format just to get google to accept our RSS feed... they are really strict on this now.) 

Could this be the explanation for the confusion that GoDaddy is creating regarding Google and SSL? The truth is that Google requires SSL server if you want your ONLINE STORE to be included in GOOGLE SHOPPING. Not that your regular website needs SSL to be seen by Google search engine. And possibly GoDaddy is not explaining that distinction clearly.

Could this be the explanation for the confusion that GoDaddy is creating regarding Google and SSL? The truth is that Google requires SSL server if you want your ONLINE STORE to be included in GOOGLE SHOPPING. Not that your regular website needs SSL to be seen by Google search engine. And possibly GoDaddy is not explaining that distinction clearly.

That certainly could be part of the confusion, however, Google itself announced in 2014 that SSL would be one of the signals it considers when ranking sites. They make it sound rather important in this post direct from the horse's mouth. There is no question that the google search algorithms favor https websites, the only real questions are how much it matters and whether it is worth the expense.

Just the other day a site development tech support guy for GoDaddy explained the whole https/SSL thing to me pretty much exactly as GEP (and Joseph) have here--it may just depend on which tech you get as to how well they explain it. He also made it crystal clear that paying for any of it -via Google or your website- is largely unnecessary for small business.

In the Google post referenced above, they themselves note "...it's only a very lightweight signal — affecting fewer than 1% of global queries". While I applaud increased security, if it is so beneficial to the WWW, it should just be done, not squeezed by the dollar out of consumers by tethering it to a "ranking" process. 

I just checked out the booklet on Trademarks (thanks Joseph) and it is quite interesting. Kings Fortune-thanks for mentioning the two free e commerce vendors. 

Archived