There is a mystery that is lost in this modern world of making pottery and firing  in wood/oil and gas kilns is maybe a way  some potters try to keep that mystery alive.  By rejecting modern techniques, firing and refined materials, some potters feel they achieved more than others. That in itself is a myth.

Digging clay and mixing your own may be fun for some and a good experience to learn the in depth process of clay making. However, there are so much to learn about clay and its process, that it is impossible for all potters to know everything in the book. That is why we specialize. On the other hand if we understand the logic behind the clay process, it is very possible to figure other parts out with little extra study. 

There were a time when Ruth Duckworth was critisized because she did not do porcelain in the traditional way and was it not for Lucy Rie, we might have still struggled with  glazes for porcelain and never have fired it in electric kilns. 

There is no right or wrong way; only a comfortable and effective way to achieve one's goals in life. 

John, if you ever get a chance come see me in Saltillo. The hump inside your bowls is probably because the clay gets too soft and sag. If you work hard to get all the clay away from the bottom and do not leave enough there to support the wall, you will get that hump. If there is enough clay, you can do right side up trimming on the inside.

The process is described here. Scroll down to page 20. 

If you still struggle, e-mail me......... :D

Well, this QOTW was going up like a rocket.... Thank you Marcia for the idea!... and thank you Antoinette that you took the time (I know you were glazing and firing and packing at the same time) to answer a few of the questions our forum members had. Joseph: don't worry, I was just pulling your legs.... I know that Swiss ceramists are the best ;):lol:

I hope the discussion about e-courses is not over and that more people on this forum come out and tell us what they would like to learn in an e-course!

Let the discussion continue!

Archived