Community Challenge #6

gallery_23281_871_4656.png

Welcome to the community challenge #6

This is a place where we can challenge ourselves alongside other community members to create ceramic works within the constraints set out in each challenge.

The Challenge

This challenge is the clay self-portrait.  

The Rules

• Everybody can enter the challenge, all you need is a registered account on the forum.
  • Work in progress (WIP) images are encouraged. It can help to talk through your research and ideas but please don't spam the topic. Keep the updates informative and succinct.
  • One final entry per community member.
  • Attach images to your final entry post along with the text Final Entry - Forum Name
  • This will make sure you are not missed out of the results thread. Also make sure you post your final entry in this thread to be entered into the challenge.
  • The challenge will run quarterly and will be
    • 1st March to 29th May, 
    • 1st June to 30st August, 
    • 1st September to 30st November, 
    • 1st December to 30st February.
  • The results thread will be posted on the last day of the ending month. It will be a collection of all the entries into one post for condensed viewing and some post challenge discussion.
  •  

The Rest
Remember you are entering for your own enjoyment and there could be a risk that your work develops into something new and exciting.
Be considerate of others and don't post opinions without good reasons to back them up. We are all here to improve and progress with our ceramics.
Some dates may vary slightly as this is a community run project and it will depend on members having access to the forum.

Have any ideas for a challenge? Post them in the ideas thread http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/7794-submit-your-challenge-ideas/

This is a very timely challenge for me as I recently completed a sculpture class and this was one of my projects. I unconsciously (subconsciously?) made myself about 10 years younger and 10 pounds lighter.

Final Entry

post-61902-0-65235800-1464746122_thumb.jpeg

post-61902-0-65235800-1464746122_thumb.jpeg

UhhhOhhhh I will be the first, and only one I fear, who will do an abstract self portrait. No (absolutely NO) sculpting talent here! A really great idea Joel. Let me think some more how I could tackle this challenge.....

And Joel: thank you very much for doing and continuing this community challenge! I hear from lots of people who are too shy to participate, but who learn a lot from the posts and the final entries. You get the community medal in gold! :D

Evelyne

Evelyne - I too will be doing an abstract self-portrait.  (Had to check the dictionary to be sure that abstract is good enough for what I will do).  Have no sculpture skills, or even copying skills.

My most realistic hand-built sculptures are a snowman (readily recognised by all who've seen it) and a runner-duck (usually referred to as a penguin).

Joel - thank you for once again giving us a worthy challenge.

Thank you for the kind words  :wub:  It is hard to think of challenges that everybody is going to enjoy, probably impossible so I hope my ideas are as good as they can be.

I very much like fluid marks and splodge in sculptures so that's probably a direction I am going in. Also thinking full length statue, could be interesting and not something I have tried before.

Joel:

Mine should not be considered in fairness to the others. I had a teacher standing over me pointing me in every direction. I do believe at times, he worked on it more than me trying to instruct me. Therefore, remove me from consideration.

Nerd

For the record: I am much better looking than that.... ROFL>>. I made a funny!!

Joel:

Mine should not be considered in fairness to the others. I had a teacher standing over me pointing me in every direction. I do believe at times, he worked on it more than me trying to instruct me. Therefore, remove me from consideration.

Nerd

For the record: I am much better looking than that.... ROFL>>. I made a funny!!

And, as it's not a competition, you should stay in !  So there  ;)

Not sure what an abstract clay self portrait is! 3-D? Will a self portait coffee cup do?

Chilly...have you seen the BBC flying penguin video on the you tube?

My community challenge will be remembering to make it. As kids we were taught to tie a string around a finger to help as à reminder.

Anyhow,

See ya,

Alabama

This challenge nicely fill a project that I had been thinking of doing.

The comment about abstract self-portraits rings a bell with me. Allow me to tell the stories. All pictures were taken today right where they stand.

Man With Blue Hat

This is the first of currently four pieces. The man with a hole so you don't ask about the blue hat. There is a greater significance of emotion -- a reflection of the emptiness I felt at the time. This was a lonely, self-reflective piece.

Dreamer

More recently (I currently use this piece as my Facebook picture) from ideas of the sketchbook. The loneliness still an element. The lyrics of The Boxer "Where the ragged people go, Looking for the places Only they would know." part of what I was capturing. The glazes ran in the background nicely -- I wrote the word from the Poem on the Underground Wall in glaze -- and created the dreamy feel.

Bipolar

Finally and also from the ideas of the sketchbook, there is a bipolar reflection. Duality is a reoccurring theme of my work because it is a quality of my life I cannot seem to shake. So this captures all of the struggles and strife and internal suffering in the world I find myself in. 

Ladies

Fortunately there is a more joyous side. It usually takes on a more feminine form.  These ladies also have a deep connection for me. I also like the series because it shows progression of skills and additional details. The subtle qualities are a very true reflection of my nature.

None of these are entries into the challenge but there is quite a bit of soul-- I will never part with them.

post-63409-0-00603800-1465172980_thumb.jpg Well, I am committing to doing this Challenge, and to make myself follow through, here is a "public" first step in the process. It will be two pieces (Hidden Mask series). This one is stoneware and will be glazed; the other is porcelain and may be just clear glazed. We'll see. I did pressed slabs of my face (the mask as self portrait) and then rolled and textured them. 

A little progress---some detailing on the stoneware piece and I have the basics of the porcelain piece. I think I am going to like these-I used to do a lot of 3-dimensional masks in clay, from fairly realistic/recognizable faces to very painterly/abstract/tribal-ish. These two are very simplistic, but just doing it is enough to make me itch to do more. By-the-by, in all my pieces, cracks, tears, craft flaws, glaze issues, etc. are either totally intentional or I have chosen to leave the "surprises" in place. 

6/15 Added 2 pics of further progress. Still need to glaze the porcelain one but it looks like I will be able to fill my kiln and get these fired by the deadline.

post-63409-0-08257200-1465319749_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-82209800-1465319771_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-88536300-1465962822_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-03923600-1465963601_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-08257200-1465319749_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-82209800-1465319771_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-88536300-1465962822_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-03923600-1465963601_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

post-63409-0-98583000-1467238305_thumb.jpgpost-63409-0-41144800-1467238784_thumb.jpg

Result of selfie wall pieces. I'm fairly well pleased, tho I lost a bit of the underglaze nuances in the multi-colored one and truth be told, I like the unfired coloration of the 2-tone porcelain one better than the glazed, tho the "black" is really a nice silvery Palladium. I think I will do that one again and not glaze the white, and use black engobe on the other half...we'll see. This was a single fire ^6. 

post-63409-0-98583000-1467238305_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-41144800-1467238784_thumb.jpg

Archived