How To Achieve Cork-Like Appearance On Slabs

How do I get the appearance of cork on the surface of slabs? I've seen it done, tried a number of things, and nothing seems to work. Would appreciate any instructions, or links to articles, etc. (I've searched extensively for this, but just get information back on either pottery in Cork County, or using cork stoppers, etc.)

Thanks!

pics would be helpful

is this what you are after?

http://akirasatake.com/kohiki-shop/go52hzc0rgzt1g1tobmtidc4j17a04

I don't know if this is what @mudwoman is looking for, but that is an intriguing tree-bark texture.  It is a little like Sodium Silicate crackle technique but seemingly more responsive to the brushed on thickness of the porcelain slip.  I'll have to add that to my wish list of things to try.

-Paul

pics would be helpful

is this what you are after?

http://akirasatake.com/kohiki-shop/go52hzc0rgzt1g1tobmtidc4j17a04

I don't know if this is what @mudwoman is looking for, but that is an intriguing tree-bark texture.  It is a little like Sodium Silicate crackle technique but seemingly more responsive to the brushed on thickness of the porcelain slip.  I'll have to add that to my wish list of things to try.

-Paul

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/12444-akira-satake-kohiki-slip-work-from-going-price-of-a-mug/?hl=satake

mudwoman may be looking for something that is a result of tiny bits of clay being pressed together.  the spaces between look like the dark part of cork. with the correct color clay it is very close.

i tried to find the word "wodges" which one of our members mentioned recently but there was no result found.  if anyone knows where that is, the pot shown there does look like cork.  was it Min?  someone with a british influence?  babs?

That's a cool effect, Biglou13, but that's not what I'm looking for (although maybe I'd like to know more about that, as well). I can't find a picture of the cork effect in pottery, for the same reasons as I'm having trouble finding information - I just get results about using cork plugs in pottery, or cork items at Pottery Barn, or pottery from Cork in Ireland. I did have a couple of pieces with this effect at my Mom's house, but God only knows where they are now.

But the effect is like cork board. I've attached a picture of cork board, and the pottery surface I've seen is remarkably like it. I think sometimes an artist will sometimes add a wash that darkens the crevasses. I would contact the artists whose work I've seen, but one of them is long deceased, and the other I just saw somewhere long ago, and can't remember.

If anyone can recall who might have mentioned this previously, please let me know!

post-7857-0-69106300-1464711493_thumb.jpg

post-7857-0-69106300-1464711493_thumb.jpg

Min has a tutorial in her gallery where she gets a look that is similar to that, you could adapt and improve on it and I am sure get something close to that. Her's is a bit different, but I am sure it is in the direction you are looking for.

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/album/1197-process-for-handbuilt-spheres/

Is my pot similar to what you are looking for? If it is I would use clay that is a bit on the stiff side to keep more of the definition for the cork effect. Could easily make slabs instead of bowls, just press the clay pieces onto a bisque or plaster slab and work flat. Have to really smooth the back side of it or it will want to break apart at the joins when you bend a slab. 

You can get such a texture on the surface of the slab by rolling fine sawdust from the wood shop, rice from the grocery store, or vermiculite/perlite from the garden center into the surface of the wet slab. The organic matter will burn out in the bisque firing, leaving tiny voids in the surface. Then finish it as desired (glaze, oxide wash, whatever). Try some samples first to see what you like.

Archived