Rubber Stamps

The simple answer is yes. The detailed answer is, some of them, but you have to pick your patterns as some won't work. If they are in a rigid support you are limited in use unless you can pull them off so they are flexible. Try some out and you will quickly learn what to look for in those that work.

T

Are you looking for ones for pressing into soft clay, applying underglaze on bisque or greenware, signing the bottom of your pots with or all of the above or none of the above and something else?

They work, but they can get clogged with wet clay. I dip mine in WD-40.

I like to use olive oil cooking spray, no health issues and it's good for the skin on your hands. I just spray a bit on whatever stamp, or sprig mold I'm using and dab off the excess with a paper towel.

It depends on how detailed the designs are. Some very detailed stamps, with little space between the lines will only give a very superficial image (2 on the left of the photo). Bolder, more 'open' designs work well (2 on the right).post-13648-0-32580400-1464617274_thumb.jpg

post-13648-0-32580400-1464617274_thumb.jpg

Serial crafter here. :D I have a big collection of rubber stamps from the pink rubber on wood handles to the clear cling used with cling blocks.. What works most reliably for me is to make a clay stamp from them. Then I can bisque a positive and negative copy which work brilliantly. :)

A quicker method I discovered is to stamp into polymer clay, then bake. This gives a nearly instantaneous, less shrink prone, less sticky copy.

If the clay surface is too wet,sprinkle some corn starch on it and then make your impression.  I've also rolled clean newsprint on a slab to pick up surface wetness before texturing.  Also, you can dust the rubber/wood/bisque/whatever stamp with cornstarch and you can get cleaner, crisper impressions.  If your stamp is sticking, slow down and give the clay some time to dry a bit. 

I use rubber stamps in wet clay with a spray of bakers spray on them. At the same time, I do this in un shaped thrown cylinders, and then shape the cylinders into mugs, pitchers etc. The stretching really distorts hings nicely. You should also try large stamps cut into abstract shape, just for texture, not design. Everyone can find something to do with stamps, and it is a great extra in you arsenal of techniques. They just take a little practice.

best,

Pres

We do love our stamps!

For me, cornstarch gives the best detail and release with less distortion, especially on small stamps. As TallTayl suggested, making a stamp from the stamp really is the way to go if the design is going to be used a lot.  Hadn't thought of making a stamp from polymer clay...gotta try that. 

Here are a couple of ways I have used rubber (or silicone, etc.) stamps that haven't been mentioned yet.  I''ve used them with normal stamp pads to print designs on greenware, then  go over the designs with wax and water etch the pot.  I've also used them the traditional way with underglaze stamp pads like this one  (http://www.theceramicshop.com/store/product/12888/Black-Potter's-Ink-Pad/).

Cynthis

Archived