Elmer's Glue In The Kiln

Guest JBaymore

Glues like this are mainly organic matter/chemistry.  They decompose and burn somewhere starting around 450F.  And lose adhesion before that.

best,

...............john

The amaco product called bisque fix will glue the pieces -then you glaze

them on and they stay until the glaze melts

elmers works fine is gravity is on your side. We use titebond wood glues to hold thumb spots on mugs that got knocked loose every week.

there thumb rests would stay as they are trapped on top of handle so gravity holds them the glue makes it so we can dip them into glazes.

I don't know the chemistry, and maybe I have just been lucky, but I have been using the mixture of vinegar, karo syrup, & dry clay in equal parts (called spooze, I think) as a glue to stick pieces together-on greenware and on bisque-so far it has been great and takes on glaze beautifully. I use it on porcelain and stoneware (cone 6 electric, mostly, but have also used it for cone 10 electric). It is good for mending pieces and filling in cracks, which is it's primary purpose. 

One friend who is pretty experienced used to mix some glue with some glaze and use that to fix stuff. theory was the glaze would take over when the glue melted. not sure this makes since. probably better to use a commercial mender product. rakuku

One friend who is pretty experienced used to mix some glue with some glaze and use that to fix stuff. theory was the glaze would take over when the glue melted. not sure this makes since. probably better to use a commercial mender product. rakuku

I use the snooze recipe slightly different but works well. Soak overnight about 6 ft. toilet paper over night starting with hot water....about a cup.

take some slip from your clay body put it in a blender. Squeeze the tp to extract water. add to blender, 

add a few drops of sodium silicate, couple of tablespoons of vinegar an a little kart syrup for taste. If it is too runny, add more clay but use dry powder of your clay body and grind it up. 

To use: 

dampen both sides of the bisque really well so it is not overly absorbent. apply the snooze to both sides. and stick together quickly, hold tight til it stays. RE-BISQUE

. re-fire in the bisque, then glaze fire normally. 

Marcia

Archived