Photo Transfer

hi,

I'd like to transfer photos/ images onto a ceramic pieces. Does anyone know what sort of materials to use to create water decals and where to get them from? I got hold of a chinese company who produces ceramic paint cartridges for printers and a transfer paper but still did not receive any reply from them. I'm in South Africa.

Thank You

hi,

I'd like to transfer photos/ images onto a ceramic pieces. Does anyone know what sort of materials to use to create water decals and where to get them from? I got hold of a chinese company who produces ceramic paint cartridges for printers and a transfer paper but still did not receive any reply from them. I'm in South Africa.

Thank You

dry.gif

hello

well I cannot help you, but I'm also interested

I do live in Belgium ... can anyone help ?

danie

hi,

Thank You

dry.gif

hello

well I cannot help you, but I'm also interested

I do live in Belgium ... can anyone help ?

danie

Hello also

I am also interested because I enjoy Grayson Perry's pots which seem to feature perfect photos. I found this website on google which gives a lot of info.

Best wishes, I will keep looking out on this topic. http://www.potters.org/subject88083.htm

Guest Sherman

hi,

Thank You

Agnieszka (and others interested),

I'm not sure if you're also a subscriber to Ceramic Arts Daily, in addition to the forum, but here is today's video post, in which Christina Bogdanov demonstrates one technique for image transfers to clay: http://ceramicartsdaily.org/ceramic-supplies/ceramic-colorants-ceramic-supplies-2/photo-lithography-on-clay-a-surprisingly-simple-way-to-print-images-on-clay/

It's a monochrome technique, so you would only be able to use this for black-and-white (or anything-and-white) images, unless you broke the image into color separations for the different colors and registered them exactly, which is difficult to do. Looks like a fun technique anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Admin and other users,

Yes I have seen Kristina bogdanov's presentation. that was so great. I have come across her website and few days later had a pleasure to watch her on ceramics daily.what a luck. now i'm struggling to get gum arabic, which is so funny. we used to use it at school as glue, because it is nontoxic (and we even ate it, don't ask me why, kids are weird), so it was easy to get. but that was in poland. now i'm in south africa and manage to find a supplier but would have to buy minimum a tone of this stuff!..

will just keep serching.

does anyone know what do you mix arabic gum powder to achive liquid consystency?

Hi Admin and other users,

Yes I have seen Kristina bogdanov's presentation. that was so great. I have come across her website and few days later had a pleasure to watch her on ceramics daily.what a luck. now i'm struggling to get gum arabic, which is so funny. we used to use it at school as glue, because it is nontoxic (and we even ate it, don't ask me why, kids are weird), so it was easy to get. but that was in poland. now i'm in south africa and manage to find a supplier but would have to buy minimum a tone of this stuff!..

will just keep serching.

does anyone know what do you mix arabic gum powder to achive liquid consystency?

Hi there - I live in Windhoek, Namibia and am offering you a cup full of the stuff. You will have to mix it up with luke warm water. First soak the amount needed and then stirr it in - all done with warm water. I add some thymol ( a drop of Dettol would do too) to keep it from rotting as I like to mix large qtys and store it. Send me your address and I can send you some - no problem. Also have an address of a supplier in SA who can sell you smaller amounts.

The gum in solution is measured in "degree baume" if I am not wrong. I use it in scree and other printing.

Regards

Haiko

Dear Haiko,

This is really nice of you!

I owe you big time.

Now i suppose i got everything i need to start my project.

My adress is PO BOX 733

3867 Mtunzini, Zululand

RSA.

i'm not sure how this works, but you can send it to me and I will pay for delivery this side. (At the post office?), don't want you to go to too much trouble over it.

Please i'd like a contact to this company in SA which supplies arabic gum in smaller amounts.

isn't this ceramics daily forum magnificent?

Thank you

Agnieszka Lango

• 2 weeks later...

:unsure:

Hello, I am in Portugal desperatly lookiing for gum arabic , just to have people looking at me as if I was some strange alien..

This is all I need to start Kristina Bogdanov printing after hunting for mason stain and so.

Can anyone tell me if it is replaceble and for what ?

Sofia

Good Morning from Wales,

Gum arabic is used in water colour painting, so you could try an online art supply website. It comes in a very small bottle so even if you had it imported it wouldn't be too expensive. Try artists suppliers websites in POrtugal. But this site in the UK along with hundreds of others will post overseas.

Good luck

Gwen

975x96.jpg

Winsor & Newton Gum Arabic 75ml

http://www.artifolk....CFcOX2AoddkuvEQ

unsure.gif

Hello, I am in Portugal desperatly lookiing for gum arabic , just to have people looking at me as if I was some strange alien..

This is all I need to start Kristina Bogdanov printing after hunting for mason stain and so.

Can anyone tell me if it is replaceble and for what ?

Sofia

Hi Sofia - most chemist or chemistry outlets should have some, even high-school biology labs. In desperate times I guess one could use clear gum from acacia trees too.

Thanks Nam Potter

We have lots of acacia trees in Portugal, maybe that will be my first experiment:)

Will also try art stores in Lisbon for gum arabic.

Sofia

• 4 weeks later...

There is a great article on Ceramics Arts Daily called 'Photo Lithography on Clay: A Surprisingly Simple Way to Print Images On Clay'.

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/ceramic-supplies/ceramic-colorants-ceramic-supplies-2/photo-lithography-on-clay-a-surprisingly-simple-way-to-print-images-on-clay/

I have never tried the technique but according to the video you can get good mid tones. Make sure you make photo copies of your image and don't just use a copy from the printer. Supposedly thats what makes it work. Best of luck!

• 2 months later...

For those wanting to do decals on pottery, here's the website our class instructor recommended: http://beldecal.com/laser paper.html You need water-slide decal paper for laser printers. We purchased the clear on white backing. I am assuming this paper can work for laser copies of photos as well.

We drew or selected an image and then we photocopied the image. Then we photocopied our image onto the decal paper. Then we cut out our decal image and soaked the decal paper for 10-30 seconds in warm water until the backing began to separate from the clear transfer. Then we slid the transfer off the backing and onto our glazed or bisqued piece. Be sure to smooth out all bubbles. Allow the piece to dry for 3-4 hours and then do a final firing to adhere your transfer image onto your piece. You get decent results with mid-range fired pieces if you fire the decal at cone 06 or lower. If you are doing a transfer onto a low-fired piece you'll have to go lower with the final firing. Cone 018 is best. If you fire any higher, you'll lose your image. The images are sharp and redish-brown in color, (from the iron oxide in the toner from the copy machine.) I really liked this process. Let me know how your efforts turn out.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that I have just jumped into this discussion but I have just come across this request. If you go to http://overglaze.info/?page_id=180 you will find a compilation of different people's approaches to using laser decals for photo transfers. All details of materials, equipment, laser decal paper supplies as well as application methods are given.

Johanna

• 4 years later...

Hi all

If this thread is still going- gum arabic is used a lot in baking and sweet making so you could probably get it in baking stores or at your local chemist.

I also watched Kristina's post which was great but she used ready mixed gum. We get it in powder form (here in Cape Town) but I dont know what proportions to mix it to get the best results. I tried .5oz in 45 ml and it was very thick, but the print did work. I dont know how it will fire though- we will see!

Archived