Sign in to follow this  
MartinSycholt

coloured slips

Hi

Im new to pottery but have taken to using oxide slips and then glaze either with white or clear glazes. The slips I currently use include bronze (manganese oxide, cobalt and iron oxide), blue (cobalt with manganese oxide), green (copper carbonate and oxide), red (iron oxide). I am now wondering how to get turqoise, mustard/yellow and other colours. Are other colours possible with basic and inexpensive ingredients?

Thanks

Martin

Bobg    4

Hi Martin,

I'm waiting to what others have to say, because I'm interested in knowing also. I currently use cabalt for blue, iron oxide for browns and reds, and chrome oxide for green.

Bob

bciskepottery    925

A good source is Robin Hopper's Making Marks and/or The Ceramic Spectrum. He has chapters in each book devoted to stains/colors and how to achieve them. Sometimes his charts are printed in the annual Ceramics Art sourcebook available as a download on CAD. I've found the info on stains/oxides/washes on Vince Pitelka's webiste to be very helpful and use those in my classes. You can also google Cynthia Bringle to get recipes of her stains/washes. Finallyet, you can do line blends to develop your own palettes and colors.

Red Rocks    3

Another thing you should experiment with slips is a little out of the box. Cover the entire inside of the bowl, plate, platter with the slip and then glaze it with a glaze you wouldn't normally think a slip would come thru, like a green slip under a copper red. You can create a whole new palate of amazing glazes using this technique. Obviously test on small pieces first.