Importance Of Drying Slowly

Anyone have any experience with IMCO mid-range porcelain? 527 Porcelain Cone 6 50#  $28.35  The price is very attractive but to spare the reader any unpleasant whining about my budget, I will just say I really can't afford a mistake and feedback always helps with my decisions. I am learning so much from the posts and archives here --- gracias!!  

• 2 weeks later...

Yea I don't know where the OP is located! I imagine shipping clay coast to coast is a bit expensive for the price they get for it. Surely there is something better than B-Mix in the west coast? 

EDIT: NM, I see her location under her username. California. So yea, I doubt you get any Loafers! Maybe someone who works in cone 6 white stoneware can recommend some west coast clays.

So I'm hearing B-Mix in general sucks. Agreed. It's temperamental, it cracks, and it's production is questionable.

I live within 40 miles of Laguna Clay, so that's where I get my mud.

What's another Laguna clay that you folks would suggest in lieu of B-Mix?

Yea I don't know where the OP is located! I imagine shipping clay coast to coast is a bit expensive for the price they get for it. Surely there is something better than B-Mix in the west coast? 

EDIT: NM, I see her location under her username. California. So yea, I doubt you get any Loafers! Maybe someone who works in cone 6 white stoneware can recommend some west coast clays.

So I'm hearing B-Mix in general sucks. Agreed. It's temperamental, it cracks, and it's production is questionable.

I live within 40 miles of Laguna Clay, so that's where I get my mud.

What's another Laguna clay that you folks would suggest in lieu of B-Mix?

Daves Porcelain

I have tried a number of Laguna's mid range clays.  Trying to find the holy grail.  :blink:  I use some of the Speckled Buff.  And a little bit of their SB Red.  As far as a white stoneware, I just haven't found anything that does it for me.  However, they do make something called #16 that I may try.  I think it's a porcelainous clay?  And I know a couple of people who use it and love it.  It's not quite as white as porcelain (Frost)  You could try a box and see what you think?

Roberta

I, too, had my love affair with B-mix and it eventually broke my heart (insert dramatic soap-opera music here).  Actually, I enjoy the making part of B-mix but the drying process is more Secret Storm than I want to manage.  The most successful work in B-mix (for me) required a lonnng drying cycle that included spritzing areas that dried faster than others in attempt to keep the drying/moisture more homogeneous throughout the piece (much of my whimsical work is multi-part/combined forms).  I know.  It sounds weird to spray water on a piece that you are attempting to dry, but that seemed to work most of the time in the Days of Our B-Mix lives.  My Guiding Light advice is to not fall completely in love with that silky smooth, seductive throwing B-mix and find something like a white stoneware with fine grog in it...you'll be less tempted to abandon drying hope in the Edge of Night.  Do experiment with all kinds of clays just as you have with B-mix, @preeta, that will serve you well in your clay journeys...and listen well to the internationals here on the forum.  They know the true meaning of wheel work too, just As the World Turns with a variety of clays.

Ducks and runs,

-Paul

I like ^6 Frost. I only tried B-mix once and didn't like the sticky quality. I waitressed ('67) in a pancake house refilling syrup containers and since then, I really can't tolerate sticky!

I think I may be getting over it. I am considering doing some printmaking. I'll see if I can handle it.

I will say, all porcelain I ever knew, needs slow drying.

Marcia

Paul I AM paying heed. you have no idea how grateful i am to this community. as much as i would like to i am not going to be pursuing an academic route to becoming a professional potter (i would love to just to fulfill my curiosity and my chance to play). so this board and a few friends are all i have to answer my million questions.

and it is because of the wisdom here that i am phasing out Bmix with grog out of my life. part of me does not want to because i LOVE throwing with it. i personally have not had any problems with it (i dont throw with a lot of water yet) ... but i see too many people have. even people in my class at the community college level. i never imagined it could be the clay, but i was very shocked very advanced students were having issues with S cracks.

off to ask another question.  

Archived