24 replies to this topic

#21 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 3,027 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:59 AM

Hmmm! I guess I take offense at "those who simply create" when talking about thinking. I simply create, but my sense of rightness in what I create comes from a lot of thinking. Thinking about how a pot feels in the hand, how it meets my criteria for function, form, texture, surface and other intrinsic things that really can't be written about, but can be felt. It is how I determine if I am on the right track or need to change direction. . . again. I could throw 50 mugs, and trim and put handles on all of them, and throw them all out because they are "not right". Thankfully, I don't have to do that anymore, but none the less 3-5 of the 50 still don't make it to the bisquefire. No, we don't just make, we think and feel about what we create. At the same time, maybe words are not enough for the entire experience. There are some things that are best left unsaid and to be understood must be experienced.

best,

Pres

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . . http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#22 intern18

intern18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:23 AM

Hmmm! I guess I take offense at "those who simply create" when talking about thinking. I simply create, but my sense of rightness in what I create comes from a lot of thinking. Thinking about how a pot feels in the hand, how it meets my criteria for function, form, texture, surface and other intrinsic things that really can't be written about, but can be felt. It is how I determine if I am on the right track or need to change direction. . . again. I could throw 50 mugs, and trim and put handles on all of them, and throw them all out because they are "not right". Thankfully, I don't have to do that anymore, but none the less 3-5 of the 50 still don't make it to the bisquefire. No, we don't just make, we think and feel about what we create. At the same time, maybe words are not enough for the entire experience. There are some things that are best left unsaid and to be understood must be experienced.

best,

Pres

Pres, 

I meant no offense, I actually meant it as a compliment. Creating does take much thought and technical devotion. I meant that I think there is a place you enter into when you're creating that isn't of the brain anymore but of the heart. I think that when I write, that I sometimes enter into this sort of state of divine inspiration, and instead of thinking about what I write, I simply write. I meant simply as a more "organic" state of soul. With all of that being said, I acknowledge that you have much more knowledge about these things than I do, and I'm happy to learn from your experiences.

Best,

Intern18

#23 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 3,027 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:35 PM

Stream of Consciousness and Right Brain thinking were concepts from the 70's and 80's. Personally I believe the last is especially true for me when dealing with the loss of time when working in the shop! At the same time I still feel the phrase "simply create" really doesn't cut it. 

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . . http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#24 Sharon Lea

Sharon Lea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:24 PM

I think this is a question each potter/artist answers for themselves. I certainly feel a spiritual connection often when I am working with clay. It is the most spiritual form of art-making (for me), which is probably why I have always thought about working with clay when I have not had access to a studio, the clay always 'calls me back'. I certainly wouldn't impose the necessity of spirituality in the making process on anyone else. Also, I can't say that it makes me any better of a potter, it just makes the process 'flow' more for me. 

#25 No Longer Member

No Longer Member

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:47 PM

She was glazing a piece one day when she was in a very bad mood (which is very unlike her). I told her put it down and walk away; to not put that into her work. She insisted and kept on going and the piece came out DARK, a lot darker than it should have been or has ever come out in the past.

"I told you so...." :rolleyes:

I know some folks think that's BS, that you can't put feeling into a piece.... but ya know.....that's EXACTLY how sounds recordings are made, or at least used to be...

...think about it.... ;)

Either I'm getting better looking with age....or my vision is getting worse... :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users