• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 intern18

intern18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:42 AM

My first opinion of Daniel Rhodes was that he was a technical guy; however, as I read more about him, I started to see the deep, spiritual connection he seemed to have with his work, "As we form the clay, it mirrors our consciousness" -Daniel Rhodes. Pottery, to him, seemed to be the balance of imperfections, both a technical and spiritual act. The pot shouldn't be too perfect, yet it should still be functional. Is spirituality a part of making pottery for every person? Would you say spirituality is necessary to create pottery?

#2 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Joel Edmondson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:13 AM

I would say you can't create pottery without spirituality or 'a sense of connection to something bigger than ourselves'

youtube-logo-50x50.png facebook-logo-50.png instahack.png?1

#3 vinks

vinks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationIndia/Singapore

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:02 AM

There’s the rich web of relationship between the two ..

What is art?

An appreciation of what is ..

art is not to be questioned - (according to me)

Just enjoyed.

The spiritual strength of knowledge makes you innovative,creative…your skills blossom.

Its the quest of the soul being answered by quest to create.

Keep Smiling!!

#4 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:16 AM

It is is not difficult for a clay artist to envision that a lump clay can turn into something much more than just a conglomeration of fine mineral particles. However, it is the spiritual clay artist that responds (listens) to what the clay is technically capable of and allows the clay's personality to become a partner in the act of creating/becoming. IMHO

"Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it." - Michelangelo

-Paul

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Shop Etsy New!
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

#5 What?

What?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:38 AM

Everything is spiritual. So yes. Conjuring a physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual connection/reaction well through clay is another matter. The term spirituality for me are the principals that direct me as person. Most often people associate this term with something as being positive. However there is a negative for every positive. The term is neutral to me.

#6 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,214 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:44 AM

When I learned to throw , it was mostly on a kick wheel. The motorized Randall wheels were in the main studio and there were 8 in the new studio for majors. I think the entire body movement involved while working on a kick wheel provides a type of yoga feeling and connectivity with the clay. It was very quiet in our studio and I really felt more spiritually connected with the clay. Even today, I like working in a peaceful studio when I am throwing. 

Marcia

Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

#7 LeeU

LeeU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:33 PM

Art is spirituality in drag.

Lee Ustinich

#8 Sputty

Sputty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:11 PM

"Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it." - Michelangelo

-Paul

How do you carve an elephant from a block of stone?

Chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.

#9 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:21 PM

(Would you say spirituality is necessary to create pottery?)

I'm not a spiritual person at all and I have made a ton of pottery so my answer is No you do not have to be that at all.

​You do need a sense of form and a sense of humor and some common sense helps as well.

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#10 Joseph F

Joseph F

no longer burnt out... yay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:13 PM

I am pretty spiritual, religion and all. However I don't bring any of that into the studio. When I go out there its pure joy to create and the rest is all form, practice, and hard work. I think the most important part is patience, if you don't have patience ceramics isn't for you imo. I can't imagine being an impatient person trying to do ceramics.

#11 terrim8

terrim8

oh oh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:56 PM

I like listening to jazz - esp. Oscar Peterson when I am in the studio. Not sure if that is spiritual or not.

#12 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:59 PM

I sit down at the wheel, I have ideas in my head, the wheel goes round, and I go elsewhere. When I wake up there is a pot there on the wheel. Do I keep it or throw it, most times the decision is already made. Then comes the next steps in firing the kiln, and me knowing and feeling when the pot is bisqued right, when the glaze is on just right, and when the glaze fire is done and how it all has to cool properly. Spiritual, I don't know, but I know that I got rid of my own self expectations and learned that no longer how I feel, it all depends on something else.

best,

Pres

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . . http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#13 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:01 AM

terrim8,

I think it is. Jazz can take you places.

Marcia

#14 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:04 AM

(Would you say spirituality is necessary to create pottery?)

I'm not a spiritual person at all and I have made a ton of pottery so my answer is No you do not have to be that at all.

​You do need a sense of form and a sense of humor and some common sense helps as well.

Mark,

Sometimes I wonder how well you know yourself. I see you as a very dedicated potter but you also do underwater photography, isn't that true. I can't imagine not having some elating spiritual mind set when you are swimming around with all those beautiful fish. I know you bring some of that imagery back to your work.

#15 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:15 PM

Well, All I know is that the " I ness" has to vanish, the too hot, arm sore, don't like throwing plates, this clay hurts MY hands, the conversation of breakfast and how I came out of that all of this has to drop away if I am to pot in any effective manner, and the pots will tell me how successfuil at this I was.

Over time, this switching off of the "I" occurs faster and more effectively,  just the act of going into my pottery space does it , my body and others,  like being hours late for a meal..., may suffer because of this, but whether this  is spiritual or not who knows.  If taken out of the pottery shed and applied when listening, watching or what ever, it can make a less egocentric person ,

#16 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:49 PM

Well I asked my wife of 20 some years if I am a spiritual person-she said its buried very deep.I think maybe in the earths mantel section or core.

As far a a state of mind I have had this on my clay hauling boat pulling truck (not show van) for over a decade and its shows my state of mind which since 1997 has been fishing for albacore tuna every season.

Its still my current state of mind.

Attached Files

Mark Cortright

#17 preeta

preeta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:49 PM

i have a hard time with the term spirituality. everyone seems to have their own definition of it and somehow it turns into a definition i am not familiar with.

i think anyone making something that fulfills a need from within creates a response from the viewer. no matter who that person is. even if the need is to feed the family and therefore you create. no matter what they create. 

i look at the mere 60 or so years of intense buncheong production pottery (whole period lasted about 200 years). potters creating works at a really fast pace. i would imagine to feed family.  beautiful pieces. 

for me its like an intense meditation. i dont feel hungry or thirsty while i throw or hand-build. i dont feel frustration when things dont work out. it just means i have to keep trying. i like a silent studio but alas wont happen at school. but there are days when i have my balls of clay and keep throwing and dont even realize when a different class came in or when someone put on music. 

however when it comes to glazing and i have the choices in front of me (which i have further reduced to what i am allowing myself to glaze with) forget spiritual. unless i know what i want it is a v. frustrating period of discovering what i want. very self critical. 

i can throw and hand-build for hours, mainly coz i always have a myriad of projects in the back of my mind i want to try. but after two hours of glazes i am mentally and emotionally exhausted. 

ultimately i only like a few of my pieces. i also paint and draw. but its actual throwing and handbuilding that i like the best because of the place i go to when i am actually doing. 

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

#18 Rae Reich

Rae Reich

Rae - Unusual Clay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:56 AM

Intern18,
In response to your previous post "Daniel Rhodes," I contrasted Rhodes' Science with M.C. Richards' Spirituality and I presume that's what prompted this thread. Of course, they're not mutually exclusive.

What do I mean by "spiritual"? I conceive of something that feeds my spirit.
What do I mean by "spirit"? My personal feeling of goodness and rightness, a sense of enrichment and well-being.

In consequence, then, the technical, or even albacore fishing, can induce my spiritual sense.
Rae

#19 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:11 PM

After careful consideration I'm going to go out on a limb and say that when I'm under the ocean  or in the surf or on the ocean boating/fishing I'm in a better place mentally than anywhere on land. Clay does not come close to this space or even my studio of 43 years. I have even called the sea my church of  the mind.

Mark Cortright

#20 intern18

intern18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:32 AM

Intern18,
In response to your previous post "Daniel Rhodes," I contrasted Rhodes' Science with M.C. Richards' Spirituality and I presume that's what prompted this thread. Of course, they're not mutually exclusive.

What do I mean by "spiritual"? I conceive of something that feeds my spirit.
What do I mean by "spirit"? My personal feeling of goodness and rightness, a sense of enrichment and well-being.

In consequence, then, the technical, or even albacore fishing, can induce my spiritual sense.
Rae

Rae, 

Good eye, your post did have a little to do with this topic. I've been reading and reading and I keep running across Daniel Rhodes' writings about a deeper connection to what he creates. Your post prompted me to finally ask what others would call this 'deeper connection'? I guess I was searching for the correct word to describe what was going on when someone creates something. I suppose that's the problem with writers, we're always thinking. We could learn a thing or two from those who simply create. 

Intern18

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users