Texture/embossing Mats/roller

I apologise if this post is not allowable - if so,Admin please delete.

I'm searching for a few texture mats or rollers in a foliage design- fern/ivy/ scrolls etc and also in platted or rope patterns - can someone please point me in the right direction. I'm not in the U.S. so would have to ship internationally.I've searched through cake,polymer & ceramic clay sites including eBay and have not been able to find what I'm looking for. Cheers

Hi, Judy!

I don't know if I'm allowed to link to sites?? I hope so. It's not MY site so I think it's okay. 

So one really good company that makes texture tools of all kinds is MKM, you might look into that a bit.

I searched texture mats real quickly and found this page to a clay supplies site: http://www.clay-king.com/pottery_tools/pottery_stamps.html There are some very interesting links including Lisa Pavelka rubber texture mats which are beautiful.  http://www.clay-king.com/pmc_precious_metal_clay/stamps/lisa_pavelka_stamps.html

You can also make your own texture mats. Roll out a slab of clay to about 1/2" thick. When it's cheese hard, carve it with the design you want. Allow to dry, then bisque and use forever. Then it's your design and unique to your work only. Another way to do texture slabs is to press leaves into them. Imagine the possibilities!! :)

Making your own roller stamps is simple too. Roll a 1 ounce ball of clay in the palm of your hand. Then start pinching the center as you roll it on the table. This will start to flatten what will be the rolling edge as you flatten and shape the center. I like to use all the surfaces and have a rolling edge as well as a different design on each flat side, but with your first few, just texture the rolling side. 

med_gallery_67168_917_2291100.jpg

I would also check on etsy, I got some rollers from Poland that are really nice, they even custom made a design for me. I also second making your own texture plates, rollers and stamps, just be careful it can get addictive! You make one then another then another and before you know it they have taken over your studio. Lol just kidding. Making your own is a great way to bring more of your style to your pieces and once you start looking around you stuff like buttons, rope, plants, and fabric will never be the same again.

Good luck!

when i looked into commercial mats and stamps made of rubber or wood, they mostly come from china.

making your own designs is a part of your art.  why buy something that thousands of other people are also using?  

Hi, Judy!

I don't know if I'm allowed to link to sites?? I hope so. It's not MY site so I think it's okay. 

So one really good company that makes texture tools of all kinds is MKM, you might look into that a bit.

I searched texture mats real quickly and found this page to a clay supplies site: http://www.clay-king.com/pottery_tools/pottery_stamps.html There are some very interesting links including Lisa Pavelka rubber texture mats which are beautiful.  http://www.clay-king.com/pmc_precious_metal_clay/stamps/lisa_pavelka_stamps.html

You can also make your own texture mats. Roll out a slab of clay to about 1/2" thick. When it's cheese hard, carve it with the design you want. Allow to dry, then bisque and use forever. Then it's your design and unique to your work only. Another way to do texture slabs is to press leaves into them. Imagine the possibilities!! :)

Making your own roller stamps is simple too. Roll a 1 ounce ball of clay in the palm of your hand. Then start pinching the center as you roll it on the table. This will start to flatten what will be the rolling edge as you flatten and shape the center. I like to use all the surfaces and have a rolling edge as well as a different design on each flat side, but with your first few, just texture the rolling side. 

med_gallery_67168_917_2291100.jpg

Giselle, very nice impressions!  What is your favorite tool to use for carving??  Mine often come out rather buggery.  But I might be carving into the clay while it is too wet. 

Roberta

You can always carve an old rolling pin with a dremel tool. I find them at the thrift stores often. Also those smaller pastry rollers...i don't know what they are called but it has 2 rollers, one on each end, a long one and a short rounded one. They are easily carved, my favorite one is a 'Pampered chef' brand...it fits well in the hand.

If you have a little plaster, you can mix it up and work with it before it sets up to make blanks that you can then carve into. It remains soft for a few days, and it's easy enough to carve with your clay tools, exacto knives, etc. Just make sure you wash your tools really well before taking them back to clay.

Giselle, very nice impressions!  What is your favorite tool to use for carving??  Mine often come out rather buggery.  But I might be carving into the clay while it is too wet. 

Roberta

Roberta, when I'm making stamps I've found it's very important to let them set up a bit, maybe for 30-60 mins, before I decorate them. I use a clay called Moroccan Sand; it's got a fairly fine grit but it does add body. Perfectly smooth clay tends to be mushy and you don't want too much grit or big hunks come out when you're carving. Also most of the designs on the roller stamp in the photo were actually impressed using a stylus tool made by Wilton for cake decorating. The cake decorating section is one of my favorite places to shop for clay tools. I also used a small circular loop tool to make the butterflies' wings and a ball tool for the dots. The heart was made with a polymer clay stamp I made myself with an extruder. Yes, I stamp my stamps with stamps. What of it? ;)

I don't know if you ever go on Periscope but I'm going to do some crazy stamp making on there next week. I also plan to do a series of YouTube videos on stamp making as well, probably focusing on one tool or one kind of tool per video. 

I use a lot of the small round or triangular loop tools, the Wilton fondant modeling kit, random weird tools from around the house like crochet hooks and straws, and wire tools I've made myself in addition to more "normal" clay modeling tools. 

And to anyone making stamps for the first time: Your first stamps are going to be wonky. Don't give up. Keep making them and figure out what you like and don't like. I can make just about anything now but in the beginning you would not believe the messes I made. When you're four years and a couple thousand stamps in, then you can worry about comparisons. :) 

Roberta

Roberta, when I'm making stamps I've found it's very important to let them set up a bit, maybe for 30-60 mins, before I decorate them. I use a clay called Moroccan Sand; it's got a fairly fine grit but it does add body. Perfectly smooth clay tends to be mushy and you don't want too much grit or big hunks come out when you're carving. Also most of the designs on the roller stamp in the photo were actually impressed using a stylus tool made by Wilton for cake decorating. The cake decorating section is one of my favorite places to shop for clay tools. I also used a small circular loop tool to make the butterflies' wings and a ball tool for the dots. The heart was made with a polymer clay stamp I made myself with an extruder. Yes, I stamp my stamps with stamps. What of it? ;)

I don't know if you ever go on Periscope but I'm going to do some crazy stamp making on there next week. I also plan to do a series of YouTube videos on stamp making as well, probably focusing on one tool or one kind of tool per video. 

I use a lot of the small round or triangular loop tools, the Wilton fondant modeling kit, random weird tools from around the house like crochet hooks and straws, and wire tools I've made myself in addition to more "normal" clay modeling tools. 

I was using the dreaded Bmix!  hahahaha.  Yes, I will find you on Periscope. That's exciting!!!!  And last night I dug out some borrowed leather stamping tools, which was rather fun! 

Roberta

Yes, if you have almost any other kind of clay with a bit of grit, try that. I'm never completely happy with the stamps I've made from B-Mix. No oomph for some reason. And any kind of stamping tools will be very interesting. :) My Periscope handle is @GiselleNo5Ceramics. I can do a scope showing all the bizarre things I use for tools! :) 

when i looked into commercial mats and stamps made of rubber or wood, they mostly come from china.

making your own designs is a part of your art.  why buy something that thousands of other people are also using?  

^^^ THIS. 

I don't even understand why people buy the stamps I make when ... they can just make their own and they will complement their work in a way that mine won't. LOL Doesn't stop me from selling them, of course. ;) Shh don't tell my customers I said that. 

Roberta

Giselle,

What is Periscope? I'd love to learn to make my own stamps, as I buy them from another potter on etsy now and they're not cheap!!! 

Archived