Manganese Dioxide Vs Oxide?

mousey

Hey all, just studying Hans Coper's work and saw that manganese oxide played a large role in his glazework.  But rarely do I see m. oxide in glaze recipes, usually its m. dioxide (which is a fraction of the price of oxide).

Are there significant differences between the two?  I understand that m. dioxide goes through significant chemical changes at 1080c where it appears to shed oxygen (apologies if Im grossly misrepresenting that transaction), so it would seem possible that m. oxide would generate a less dynamic transaction at that temperature I suppose.. or someone just screwed up Coper's wikipedia page and put 'oxide' instead of 'dioxide'...

Any information/thoughts/musings are appreciated, of course.

>Any information/thoughts/musings are appreciated, of course.

File under ramblings...

Wikipedia helps/hinders with

Manganese oxide is any of a variety of manganese oxides and hydroxides.[1] This includes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manganese_oxide

Personally I've always assumed that Hans Coper used MnO2, although perhaps with little evidence.

Certainly that's what I used when trying to emulate his 'bronze' effects in the 1970s.

PS High-manganese mixtures and saturated glazes can produce some truly magnificent effects,  but

went out of favour when serious H&S issues were suspected. [indeed Hans Coper's neurological problems

were rumoured/suspected to relate to his use of manganese.]

Like many H&S issues there are few hard facts. A fairly random google gives this as a starting point.

https://digitalfire.com/4sight/hazards/ceramic_hazard_manganese_toxicity_by_elke_blodgett_409.html

Queue terror.  Pretty sure the bloom is off the manganese rose as of now.  How horrible if true... I'll proceed with the utmost of caution, if at all.  On behalf of my neural infrastructure, thank you for the info, really.

Archived