Daniel Rhodes

Daniel Rhodes studied clay and glazes technically and wrote many books including Clay and Glazes for the Potter and Stoneware and Porcelain. How important do you think his research and studies were to the art of ceramics? What do you feel you have to thank him for in this particular field? 

Clay and Glazes for the Potter was the first book I bought, every time I had a question I would get out his book and look for an answer.  For a long time he was my only teacher,  I have bought many books since the 60's but I still dig his book out of the stack for answers occasionally.     Denice

I used both books you mentioned back in the 60s. There was no internet and not that many ceramics books on the market. My first text book for clay was Glen Nelson's Ceramics. I bought Anna Shepherd's book on ceramics/archeology. ThePotters book by Bernard Leach was my 4th book. Herbert Sanders was the fifth. Norton and Parmelee were next. As Denice says, they were reference books and in the studio for quick access. These were the ones I used most regularly early on.

Marcia

My first book was Leach.  But my second was Rhodes.  This was back in the early 70s, when there weren't that many clay books to read.  I'm self-taught, and apart from Ceramics Monthly, there wasn't a lot of info available.

A couple of the glazes I used for many years were modified from recipes in Rhodes.

Daniel Rhodes studied clay and glazes technically and wrote many books including Clay and Glazes for the Potter and Stoneware and Porcelain. How important do you think his research and studies were to the art of ceramics? What do you feel you have to thank him for in this particular field? 

Daniel Rhodes was a kind and respected teacher,  I was luckily to be one of his students, before his books appeared.  Another of his excellent books is "Pottery Form"

David

I never met the man but I would not be in clay for over 40 years without him and his fellow teachers at Alfreds during that time. I was influenced by his students who where on fire with ceramics as recent Alfred Graduates in the early 70's who became teachers and I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to catch a bit of that spark.

The main thing was functional wares and that was my take away-clay body and glaze making where the subjects and form and function where the standards.

For me they still are.I have used his books through my career in clay as well as others.

My Intro class recommended both Rhodes' Clay and Glazes and M.C. Richards' Centering, so we got both Science and Spirituality.

For the pure joy of getting your hands dirty, I usually recommend Paulus Behrenson's Finding One's Way With Clay to beginners.

Archived