Daniel Rhodes- Japanese Tamba

I'm a Technical Writer who is interning at an Art Institute in my hometown. I'm writing a biography for an exhibit featuring Daniel Rhodes. I wondered if anyone had any information on what type of philosophies and genres he may have supported and displayed in his art work after he lived in Japan. I find the "Heads" and the "Guardians" pieces to be very beautiful; however, i can't seem to find any information on the philosophy or reasoning behind why he created these. Any interesting facts or comments would be very helpful. 

Intern18

have you read his book(s) yet?  he also wrote forwards in other potters' books.  maybe there is a clue.  did you find any shows that he may have curated with comments?    and please read the recent thread you can find here.  look for  "Artsy Babble" etc.

have you read his book(s) yet?  he also wrote forwards in other potters' books.  maybe there is a clue.  did you find any shows that he may have curated with comments?    and please read the recent thread you can find here.  look for  "Artsy Babble" etc.

Thank you for your suggestions. And I read "Artsy Babble" and I agree. I'm looking to write a biography that anyone can understand no matter their knowledge level on art--my job is to do the translating for the people :) 

I'm a Technical Writer who is interning at an Art Institute in my hometown. I'm writing a biography for an exhibit featuring Daniel Rhodes. I wondered if anyone had any information on what type of philosophies and genres he may have supported and displayed in his art work after he lived in Japan. I find the "Heads" and the "Guardians" pieces to be very beautiful; however, i can't seem to find any information on the philosophy or reasoning behind why he created these. Any interesting facts or comments would be very helpful. 

Intern18

There is a preface to his book "Pottery Form" that may be of interest.  I know of the head forms but this was after he went to Japan and I was no longer a student of his.  I will ask my friend Prof. Wally Higgins about this.

David

Archived