Glaze Mistake Causes Blistering. Help!

losuza

I am new to glazing. I purchased a bucket of clear glaze. It was advertised as cone 6. I fired a few pieces (I know - should have done a test fire) and got blistering all over the pieces - some popped. In looking closer at the fine print, it is a cone 06 glaze. Can I retire and save these pieces? Or any help anyone can give. I know I should be chastised. Be easy on me. Thanks!

You could take one pot, grind the sharp edges of the blisters, paint a little glaze over the area, may have to warm the pot to get an adherence then fire to the prescribed temp and put a soak on at the target temp...., you're lucky that the glaze didn't run off the pot as and mess with your shelves

You could try breaking the glaze bubbles and reglazing with a cone6 glaze but that could not solve the problem and cause more. Seems like the pots didn't take out any shelves so you are lucky there. Throw them out or leave them on a shelf as a reminder why it is good idea to test before glazing the good stuff.

A lesson I am glad I learned early on is to remake a piece as opposed to try to mend, repair or repeatedly fire a piece that had significant flaws. The remade piece almost always came out better and took less time, too.

There are exceptions to this lesson. But these I've learned over time. There are certain repairs I can make but I know when to throw in the towel.

The same goes for beginners throwing pots. Sometimes they collapse, wobble or just go off. Toss in the recycle clay bin and move on. You'll only get better.

Our first teacher must have made us throw 50 cylinders before we could keep one. It was a good lesson and I don't have 50 door stops laying around either.

losuza, fyi, the advice you have been given is in no way a reflection on your character, ability, etc whatever.  it is simply a truth we have all learned by experience.  if you think you have been chastised, you are wrong.  you have our sympathy but the advice is still the same.

since all the pieces where overtired a lot. I would just trash them and make new pieces and move forward.

Sorry about the error but its happened to us all. I doubt any more firing will help-Bruce's suggestion about bisque firing is worth one pot to see.

Just make new work for new glazing.

Archived