kiln placement

I am in the market for a good used kiln and plan on getting one in the next few weeks. A good friend has been firing my stuff for me and its not a problem but I am way past having my own.

I have two places I can put it. First place is in the garage if I have to but I would rather not. My garage is detached and sits at the back of the property. I would have to load stuff up, carry it down stairs, out the back door and to the garage and not that this is horrible but I would hate this in the winter especially since my garage is not heated.

The second place I can put it is in a small room off of my pottery room. My house is mid 1800's and strange. The back bedroom (my pottery room) has a small room off to the side that would be perfect for a kiln. It would be easy to wire up as the breaker box is in that room and there is plenty of room to add a 220 breaker. It would also be VERY convenient to be able to load my kiln rather than carry out to the garage.

My concern is this and where I am hoping some of you can help me. Would I need to worry about fumes? the small room it would be in does have a door and I could shut it during firing, this room also has a window and I could put a small fan in there while firing, is this enough? While firing myself and the dogs will be in the room next to it but with a door seperating us from the kiln. I really hate to spend several hundred in a kiln vent at this time and hoping I can get by without one. Would like advice.

Yes, you need to worry about fumes. My kiln is in my garage and it has an exhaust vent. Vent is turned on when the kiln is turned on, turned off when I unload. Kilns produce carbon monoxide and other organics in the clay and glazes can produce fumes. It might be inconvenient carrying wares to the garage, but I believe it is much safer. I also put my kiln on a second breaker box installed in the garage and also had a direct cut-off switch installed.

The pottery studios I've worked in at the colleges all have the electric kilns inside the studio area. They have a huge ventilation hood fan system which removes the majority of the toxins that are expelled out of the kiln, and or a vent that pulls the fumes out of the kiln and expels them out of the building. A set up that has both of these would remove the majority of the harmful vapors that would otherwise be in your house. A lot of people find it convenient to build a lean-to with wood and steel roofing where they can spray glaze and fire their kiln.

I am in the market for a good used kiln and plan on getting one in the next few weeks. A good friend has been firing my stuff for me and its not a problem but I am way past having my own.

I have two places I can put it. First place is in the garage if I have to but I would rather not. My garage is detached and sits at the back of the property. I would have to load stuff up, carry it down stairs, out the back door and to the garage and not that this is horrible but I would hate this in the winter especially since my garage is not heated.

The second place I can put it is in a small room off of my pottery room. My house is mid 1800's and strange. The back bedroom (my pottery room) has a small room off to the side that would be perfect for a kiln. It would be easy to wire up as the breaker box is in that room and there is plenty of room to add a 220 breaker. It would also be VERY convenient to be able to load my kiln rather than carry out to the garage.

My concern is this and where I am hoping some of you can help me. Would I need to worry about fumes? the small room it would be in does have a door and I could shut it during firing, this room also has a window and I could put a small fan in there while firing, is this enough? While firing myself and the dogs will be in the room next to it but with a door seperating us from the kiln. I really hate to spend several hundred in a kiln vent at this time and hoping I can get by without one. Would like advice.

I believe that you should consider what the kiln in the house will do to your home insurance. Most insurance companies will whap you hard for having a kiln in the house, especially on a living floor. Basement kilns are often out there, but even then problematic. I believe in the long run you may be better off out in the garage. I have may kilns in the garage where I work, and do not work in there when they are in the early stages of firing due to the gases released. These will include Sulfuric oxides that can be throat irritants, and some carbon monoxide. I do have a window that I open in the warmer 3 seasons to draft. I am hoping to put in a closed draft system in the next year to take care of gasses.

Follow the code and have it wired by an electrician, properly vent your kiln to outside with a vent a kiln or other vent, (no matter if its in the garage or basement you need to vent your kiln), and make sure it is positioned so it follows the guide of how far it should be from all walls. The manufacture will supply information for you. Also make sure you have enough room on your breaker box and service to supply the required amps. If in the basement make sure of dimensions to be able to get it down the stairs and hallway. Do check with your insurance agent also! And congratulations on moving up, your very own kiln will be a great addition to your equipment.

Ventilation is very important. It is a must have. How large is the kiln you are considering and how large is the room?

You must a have enough room to maintain the kiln and there must be at least an 18" distance from all walls. Also you have to be sure that you can position your kiln so that the electrical cords are not touching or wrapping around the kiln.

It must be positioned in such a way that you can see into the peep holes and read the control panel. This doesn't matter if it is a kiln setter or a controller operation. Also your floors must be fire proof (that is made of concrete or ceramic tile).

The garage is a better option even if you get a space heater and you will probably need one. Especially if you live in an area that has very cold winters. Some kiln manufacturers have temperature requirements, heat as well cold atmospheres for the proper operation of their kilns.

Do your research on the different kilns, see which ones you like. Know how they operate. Request information from the manufacturers about their products. So when you start your search for a used kiln you will have the information under your belt.

Buckeye I'm afraid you will be better off with the kiln in the garage. I built a new studio 5 years ago it's part of a large garage, it has it's own seperate entrance and kiln room. I thought a window and a small ceiling mounted exhaust fan would handle the fumes but it doesn't. The kiln room has it's own exterior door with good seals and I can still smell it so I stay out of the studio when I'm firing. My husband is in stalling the Envirovent 2 system in my kiln room tomorrow it will vent two kilns. I'm keeping my exhaust fan for when I fire the test kiln and vent hot air off the ceiling. I have cement wall board installed over my sheet rock for a little extra protection and peace of mind for my husband. Denice

I appreciate all the help and info. My floor is good, it would be several feet from any wall etc.

The only thing I am concerned with is fumes. I know I have to worry about them but my question is this. In a small room with the door shut and two windows open in that room with a fan in one window, will this be enough that I wont have to worry about the fumes being toxic.

Denice and a few others might have already anwsered this but I just want to make sure.

No one is going to tell you that it is OK to have an un-vented kiln operating in your home.

Opening windows doesn't solve it. Air also blows into the room from open windows so you could be making it even worse.

If you have heating vents in the room or any kind of air return those fumes are on the move.

Don't put it on a wooden floor, only concrete. Have it properly wired. Install that kiln vent.

Make sure you tell your insurance people you have it or you might find yourself 100% on your own if you do have a problem.

• 1 month later...

mostly I just read and learn from all of your combined wisdom, but I have a question I can't seem to find a thread for so . . . here goes. I am just setting up a studio in my home and my kiln came yesterday. The instruction manual said to place it on a non flammable surface preferably the cement floor. Well the kiln is small and that doesn't make sense to me - so what do you all have your kilns resting on? I had planned to use the same table I work at which is made of wood - so obviously I need to change my plan and get something else or put something under it?? Thanks in advance for your advice!!

Hopefully your kiln came with a raised platform of some sort so the kiln itself doesn't contact the floor or table. Find a store that sells wood stoves, they usually have some protective pad to put under the stoves or even surrounding wall area. Hard cement board might work, but just having the kiln on your work table sounds like a problem. Is it just a test kiln? Anything that would be affected by extreme heat (paper, wood, plastic, cloth) should be at least 18 inches away from the kiln.

mostly I just read and learn from all of your combined wisdom, but I have a question I can't seem to find a thread for so . . . here goes. I am just setting up a studio in my home and my kiln came yesterday. The instruction manual said to place it on a non flammable surface preferably the cement floor. Well the kiln is small and that doesn't make sense to me - so what do you all have your kilns resting on? I had planned to use the same table I work at which is made of wood - so obviously I need to change my plan and get something else or put something under it?? Thanks in advance for your advice!!

Jordan-

You may need something like this; it is an Amaco Product.

The description reads like this-

"Kiln Furniture & Accessories > Wheel/Kiln Stand

Any table model potter's wheel or small table model electric kiln can be placed on this sturdy, silver-gray enameled stand.

The rigid frame will not vibrate or loosen over long periods of use. Both the top of the stand and the shelf measure 20" x 31" and the shelf can be raised or lowered. The four legs adjust the height of the top from 22" to 36".

post-2283-132357124771_thumb.jpg

post-2283-132357124771_thumb.jpg

I once worked on installing a kiln in Boston that had to meet the criteria of the Building codes, Insurance company and the Fire Dept...all different.

For protecting your table you could raise the surface by placing several bricks down and then a steel plate strong enough to support the kiln which you said was small. How high is the ceiling.

You may need to install a heat deflector a foot or more below the ceiling plus a strong exhaust fan. I have two exhaust fans in my kiln shed which is cement floor, cinder block walls and steel roof.

It has 5 kilns in it. The fans are set to go on at 120 degrees F.

Marcia

Jordan-

You may need something like this; it is an Amaco Product.

The description reads like this-

"Kiln Furniture & Accessories > Wheel/Kiln Stand

Any table model potter's wheel or small table model electric kiln can be placed on this sturdy, silver-gray enameled stand.

The rigid frame will not vibrate or loosen over long periods of use. Both the top of the stand and the shelf measure 20" x 31" and the shelf can be raised or lowered. The four legs adjust the height of the top from 22" to 36".

I went to Lowes and bought a matt that is made for woodburning stoves. I have my woodburner on one in a room with carpet and have never had problems, thats what it is made for. My kiln has a stand but I wanted to be extrea safe and put it on the same thing I have my stove on, I think it was like 39 dollars, money well spent.

• 4 weeks later...

A kiln must be on a stand. Plain and simple. Even on a concrete floor. The problem with setting kilns on wood floors is not that the floor will burst into flame the first time you fire it up. It's that over time the heat from the kiln will dry out the wood and lower its flash point, which means that some day it will catch fire. How long will that take? No one knows. If you must put a kiln on a wood floor, put two layers of cement board under it, extending at least a foot beyond the edges of the kiln.

Another issue with putting a kiln in your home rather than the garage is the heat it will produce. A kiln in the basement can be murder on the room above it during the summer.

Some insurance companies have no problem with kilns in the home. My insurance company didn't care at all, or even put a note in my file. But do tell them, just in case. Most kilns are UL listed, and considered safe by insurers.

Archived