#1 buckeye

buckeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLancaster Ohio

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:06 AM

When I first started throwing one of the first things I tried to make was a covered baking dish and I was less than successful at it. Besides being beyond ugly the inside shape was not at all practical, The lid wasnt a good fit.. just all around bad.

Lastnight I decided to throw another one and I really like how it turned out, size, inside/outside shape, lid etc. To me it turned out great and I cant wait to try it out after I get it fired.

Attached Files

#2 Dancing Earth Creations

Dancing Earth Creations

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:07 AM

When I first started throwing one of the first things I tried to make was a covered baking dish and I was less than successful at it. Besides being beyond ugly the inside shape was not at all practical, The lid wasnt a good fit.. just all around bad.

Lastnight I decided to throw another one and I really like how it turned out, size, inside/outside shape, lid etc. To me it turned out great and I cant wait to try it out after I get it fired.

Very nice!

#3 mrs_christopher

mrs_christopher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMarysville, OH

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:09 AM

That is a very cool baking dish!!!
-Tiffany Christopher
http://lbdpottery.blogspot.com/

#4 Jacqueline

Jacqueline

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:39 AM

It's a beautiful baking dish! What kind of clay are you using? I would like to make a covered chicken roaster and wondered what would be best.

#5 buckeye

buckeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLancaster Ohio

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

It's a beautiful baking dish! What kind of clay are you using? I would like to make a covered chicken roaster and wondered what would be best.

I get my clay from Columbus clay. I use Matherstone, it is the only clay I have used since I got my own wheel. It is very durable, I made my mom a couple of tea pots and she actually uses them on top of her gas stove to make tea and she drinks tea often. I told her she shouldnt but you know how moms can be.

here is a link to their clay page and you can read about it. http://www.columbusclay.com/Clay.htm

#6 mrs_christopher

mrs_christopher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMarysville, OH

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:23 PM

I get my clay from Columbus clay. I use Matherstone, it is the only clay I have used since I got my own wheel. It is very durable, I made my mom a couple of tea pots and she actually uses them on top of her gas stove to make tea and she drinks tea often. I told her she shouldnt but you know how moms can be.

here is a link to their clay page and you can read about it. http://www.columbusclay.com/Clay.htm

I'm always finding such neat and new things on their site, but it's making my pocket book really sore!!! :(
-Tiffany Christopher
http://lbdpottery.blogspot.com/

#7 buckeye

buckeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLancaster Ohio

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:11 PM

I'm always finding such neat and new things on their site, but it's making my pocket book really sore!!! Posted Image

I totally understand, just in clay even! When I am really in the mood and have time I can go through 50 lbs in less than 2 days!

#8 Dian

Dian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:01 PM

Very nice, and inspiring

Dian

#9 Alice.H

Alice.H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

very nice... i like the handle... the little hole u make at the handle makes it looks like a steel pot.... how big is it?

#10 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:09 PM

Yes, it's a very nice shape. But the foot looks too thin from the angle in your photo; when you cut the pot off you may cut through it.
John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#11 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

Nice baking dish if your bottom is to thin you might add a ring of clay to the bottom and throw a foot that mimics the lip of your lid. Have fun filling your kiln. Denice

#12 buckeye

buckeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLancaster Ohio

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

very nice... i like the handle... the little hole u make at the handle makes it looks like a steel pot.... how big is it?

I would have to measure it but I would guess it would hold about 2 quarts.

#13 buckeye

buckeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLancaster Ohio

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:39 AM

Yes, it's a very nice shape. But the foot looks too thin from the angle in your photo; when you cut the pot off you may cut through it.

Its just the picture.. This has already been bisqued and will get glazed and fired again soon

#14 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:07 AM

Its just the picture.. This has already been bisqued and will get glazed and fired again soon

Sorry, I didn't realize it was an old post.
John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#15 buckeye

buckeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLancaster Ohio

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

Sorry, I didn't realize it was an old post.

No problem lucille Posted Image

#16 macdoodled

macdoodled

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

So where is the final piece? Did you try it in a preheated oven?
Mom puts ceramic on the stovetop?! My guess is that it will take so much abuse, but eventually she will be cleaning up some water..and that there is a reason archeologists find tons of water jugs and bowls, but fewer solid ceramic cooking pots... though this is cool
http://popular-archa...e-study-reveals

#17 buckeye

buckeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLancaster Ohio

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

So where is the final piece? Did you try it in a preheated oven?
Mom puts ceramic on the stovetop?! My guess is that it will take so much abuse, but eventually she will be cleaning up some water..and that there is a reason archeologists find tons of water jugs and bowls, but fewer solid ceramic cooking pots... though this is cool
http://popular-archa...e-study-reveals

No finished product yet but it has been bisc fired. I still have to glaze it. Should be no problem with the oven, the stoneware clay I use is formulated for baking ware. I will share a pic as soon as I get it glazed and fired.. should be over next few days.

#18 macdoodled

macdoodled

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

:blink: oops posted on wrong thread -lol

Attached Files

#19 smokin pots

smokin pots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

Cant wait to see the finished glazed piece.
  • 793,549 Views on this post. I guess others want to see it finished also!
  • juli

la paloma texas pottery

#20 grayfree

grayfree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:07 AM

way to go buckeye I look forward to the day I can make something like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users