My first (successful) covered baking dish

When I first started throwing one of the first things I tried to make was a covered baking dish and I was less than successful at it. Besides being beyond ugly the inside shape was not at all practical, The lid wasnt a good fit.. just all around bad.

Lastnight I decided to throw another one and I really like how it turned out, size, inside/outside shape, lid etc. To me it turned out great and I cant wait to try it out after I get it fired.

post-6939-13191952313_thumb.jpg

post-6939-131919524508_thumb.jpg

post-6939-13191952313_thumb.jpg

post-6939-131919524508_thumb.jpg

When I first started throwing one of the first things I tried to make was a covered baking dish and I was less than successful at it. Besides being beyond ugly the inside shape was not at all practical, The lid wasnt a good fit.. just all around bad.

Lastnight I decided to throw another one and I really like how it turned out, size, inside/outside shape, lid etc. To me it turned out great and I cant wait to try it out after I get it fired.

Very nice!

It's a beautiful baking dish! What kind of clay are you using? I would like to make a covered chicken roaster and wondered what would be best.

I get my clay from Columbus clay. I use Matherstone, it is the only clay I have used since I got my own wheel. It is very durable, I made my mom a couple of tea pots and she actually uses them on top of her gas stove to make tea and she drinks tea often. I told her she shouldnt but you know how moms can be.

here is a link to their clay page and you can read about it. http://www.columbusclay.com/Clay.htm

It's a beautiful baking dish! What kind of clay are you using? I would like to make a covered chicken roaster and wondered what would be best.

I get my clay from Columbus clay. I use Matherstone, it is the only clay I have used since I got my own wheel. It is very durable, I made my mom a couple of tea pots and she actually uses them on top of her gas stove to make tea and she drinks tea often. I told her she shouldnt but you know how moms can be.

here is a link to their clay page and you can read about it. http://www.columbusclay.com/Clay.htm

I'm always finding such neat and new things on their site, but it's making my pocket book really sore!!! :(

I'm always finding such neat and new things on their site, but it's making my pocket book really sore!!! sad.gif

I totally understand, just in clay even! When I am really in the mood and have time I can go through 50 lbs in less than 2 days!

• 2 months later...

Yes, it's a very nice shape. But the foot looks too thin from the angle in your photo; when you cut the pot off you may cut through it.

Its just the picture.. This has already been bisqued and will get glazed and fired again soon

Yes, it's a very nice shape. But the foot looks too thin from the angle in your photo; when you cut the pot off you may cut through it.

Its just the picture.. This has already been bisqued and will get glazed and fired again soon

Sorry, I didn't realize it was an old post.

Sorry, I didn't realize it was an old post.

No problem lucille tongue.gif

So where is the final piece? Did you try it in a preheated oven?

Mom puts ceramic on the stovetop?! My guess is that it will take so much abuse, but eventually she will be cleaning up some water..and that there is a reason archeologists find tons of water jugs and bowls, but fewer solid ceramic cooking pots... though this is cool

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/september-2011/article/6-000-year-old-cooking-pots-show-gradual-transition-to-agriculture-study-reveals

So where is the final piece? Did you try it in a preheated oven?

Mom puts ceramic on the stovetop?! My guess is that it will take so much abuse, but eventually she will be cleaning up some water..and that there is a reason archeologists find tons of water jugs and bowls, but fewer solid ceramic cooking pots... though this is cool

http://popular-archa...e-study-reveals

No finished product yet but it has been bisc fired. I still have to glaze it. Should be no problem with the oven, the stoneware clay I use is formulated for baking ware. I will share a pic as soon as I get it glazed and fired.. should be over next few days.

Archived