Qotw: Did You Already Discuss Glazes With Aliens From Mars? (Wink)

Hello my fellow potters. I have a guest this week! Glazenerd sent me an interesting question, not only because the notion that men from Mars will/can force (shudder!!) me to answer a questions like...... well, read for yourself:

glazenerd's question for you: If aliens from Mars forced you to choose just one glaze: what would it be and why?

My answer would be; blueberry ash glaze and the reason: to provoke them! (Aren't aliens from Mars green?? ;) )

How about you?

Have a good week!

Evelyne

Ummmmm....welp, if I still worked in ^6 oxidation, it would be lithium brown. Because HNNNNGH. ♥

High fire reduction? Tenmoku everything.

Low fire? Hrmmm...Definitely Amaco's Artist's Choice Peacock. That is my ultimate go-to glaze! It looks sooo different on every clay I use--too amazing for one kinda glaze! ^_^

This question is darn impossible! 

I like John's answer though. I don't really have a favorite glaze yet. Sadly enough I haven't found one I love. If I had the ability to make any glaze possible it would probably be  something wood fired similar to this, just because its amazingly beautiful to look at:

il_570xN.379067292_3fuf.jpg

As guest co-moderator: the back story: I remember watching Orson Wells "War of the Worlds" in the late 60's: my brothers and I were discussing it at mothers' day dinner with my 86yr old mother. I have always wondered what everyone felt was their favorite glaze: so it made for a good premise.

John: I do not read Japanese, but I know in other languages that might be considered cursing.

Cavy:  Just one!! They have their proton laser beam pointed at you even now.

Joseph: I can understand that obsession with a glaze.

Mark: martians only fire krypton clay in a plutonium powered kiln to cone 125.

Marcia: for mentioning sci-fi, the martians are willing to give you a pass for not naming a glaze.

Mine:

910 Test

Next time you watch the original Orson Wells classic: does it look like their laser?

Nerd

Ummmmm....welp, if I still worked in ^6 oxidation, it would be lithium brown. Because HNNNNGH. ♥

High fire reduction? Tenmoku everything.

Low fire? Hrmmm...Definitely Amaco's Artist's Choice Peacock. That is my ultimate go-to glaze! It looks sooo different on every clay I use--too amazing for one kinda glaze! ^_^

Yes Peacock! I used it today at the college open studio on red earthenware knowing how beautiful it would come out. On low fire white clay it shows up as a coppery color.

For ^5 I'm in love with Amaco PC Ancient Jasper layering it on almost everything else.

Both of those glazes would look terrific mixed with Martian soil.

One of the glazes I accidentally made had a mottled blue-green color on white clay and has the feel of a smooth sage bush. So it was called Sage.  Since playing with iron and other oxides and seeing the large variety of excellent results-and nothing too disastrous- come from this glaze, I decided to rename it to reflect these wise and mystical properties. It is now called Sage.

Sage is a rutile-copper-cobalt-iron glaze and I have seen each colorant play a dominate role with different applications or clay bodies. I could produce work that only used this glaze and still have the variety I enjoy. (I also cheat a little and change the amounts of copper, cobalt and iron when making it.)

Tenmoku on stoneware. Carbon trap shino on porcelain with wax resist.

Next I would ask the aliens for a ride into outer space in their super cool spaceship with my wheel and many boxes of porcelain. I would love to throw in space or somewhere that has considerably less amount of gravity. 

As I work at ^6, I can not choose one glaze, as all of my best pieces come from layering glazes, Rutile green over Speckled rust with a white liner underneath, and some shots of Variegated blue and green on a Hazelnut clay, some layers rubbed off, some left alone some dipped, some sprayed different angle and directions. No, for me there is not one glaze at ^6. Sorry it just 'nt gonna happen.

best,

Pres 

Although the glaze I use the most by far is a light gray semi-matte named Flannel, if I had to choose only one glaze I would choose my off-white glossy liner glaze named Vanilla. I think the glossy liner glaze is absolutely essential for food ware.

Prankin: Martians have been firing "red martianware", long before "earthen" ware.

Bruce: for suggesting "universal" appeal; the Martians have invited you to join their galactic peace corp. Shino < good choice.

Matthew: Martians are little green men after all: they are willing to accept a blue/green compromise.

Babs: "Depends" will not work in space, Pampers however do have an elastic band that defies gravity.

What: the Martians use ultrasonic waves to turn their centrifugal wheel: which also doubles for a really big "boom box."

Fred: Try Martian 409 stoneware: its anti-matter property makes it float.

Pres: for mentioning "green," the Martians will allow you one more solar month to make a choice.

Benz: the Martians are impressed with your tactics, and want to know if you are willing to command one of their attack saucers?

GEP: Martians like any glaze that is named after food.

Chilly: "slop" in Martianese means "war', or leftovers from granny.

Nerd

You misinterpreted my "It depends......."  That is the name of my glaze!  You know the one, stuff up the SG, over or under fire, reduce or full oxygen

red or white clay, y'see it ALL depends. What you see is NOT what you get when you use it, so no point in revealing the recipe to Martians who appear to need the predicatable, and will slay you publically if it doesn't work in their kiln, sound familiar??

Archived