Hi, I'm a beginner potter who has quickly realized, taking a couple hours of lessons a week will yield a couple of pots but is not going to cut it for obtaining the skill of throwing on a wheel. My husband also wants to learn, but I'm "testing the waters" this summer while he's off thru hiking the Appalachian Trail( 2190 miles in 5 months). So I'm looking for a wheel to use at home. I'm more interested in quality and functionality than price. From looking at the want ads, seems I would have no trouble selling a quality wheel if this doesn't work out. Seems there are lots of options in the thousand dollar...ish or less price point that should suffice for home wheel. The challenge I'm finding is there doesn't seem to be a way of determining quality from looking at specs, and specs provided seem to differ not only across brands but across models within a brand. I'm hoping some folks on this blog may have experience with some of the wheels or be able to shed some light on confusing points.

I'm currently looking at three brands. Clayboss, Shimpo and Brent. I've been to a show room and seem them run, heard the motor noise at different speeds, etc., but couldn't get a sews to some of my questions. The lessons I've had were on a Shimpo Whisper and everyone has warned how loud the other brands were compared to the whisper. Frankly, none of them are loud in my opinion.

What I think is important to me....in no particular order.

-strong motor that won't tire or slow down if stressed with longevity. (I have no idea how to gauge this from specs. )

-low maintenance

- not too heavy. I'd also like to keep wheel weight under 100lbs so my husband and I can move to a warmer spot in winter months.

-reversing wheel head

- foot pedal with good control and response

- like the free spinning head feature for trimming or glazing, but could always use a banding wheel instead.

- height adjustability (?) I'm 5' tall and frankly, have trouble supporting the clay as my legs don't clear the height of the splash pan, even with my feet up on blocks. My husband is 6'. Some models have adjustable legs down to 13" for table top use, which may work for me in terms of adjusting from 13" up to find the right height for me. I've also heard some folks find standing while throwing to be a good change if you have back issues (I have knee and back issues).

I'm bit concerned about Clayboss. The wheel head is made out of a poly/plastic material which just looks like it would be a pain to clean. Or you'd have to use bats all the time. They have three models all well under a thousand dollars. Claim to have industrial motors. One has 1/2hp, the others 1hp and all can center 100lb (or more) of clay. Seems too good to be true. When I look at the want ads, I don't see anyone specifically looking for a Clayboss. I do see folks looking for Brent.

Shimpo whisper is what I've learned on but it centers 100lbs with its 1/2 hp, 400w motor. The VL Lite can only center 25lbs with its 1/2 hp, 100w motor. Not that I'm likely to exceed that, but how is it this 1/2hp motor is so different than Clayboss which can handle 100lbs of clay.

Brent is where I get really confused. They are more expensive than the other brands, which is ok, if I'm getting more quality....I just don't know if I am. Does anyone work with these models. Or is it the larger brents that's folks are so impressed with? The IE, 1/4hp and IE-X, 1/3hp seem like reasonable models. Brent states they can continuously handle 75lbs and 100lbs of clay,,respectively. Is "continuously handle" the same as centering? Not sure why they don't use the same terminology as other brands. On some retail sites, I've seen advertisement that they center 25lbs so not sure what to believe. Should I be concerned with a 1/4hp or 1/3hp wheel. Is there more value in. 1/2 hp wheel even if not a Brent? They also have adjustable legs as low as 13". But the legs adjust with tension screws and an "L" wrench, so not something easy to change between users. And the floor model I saw didn't have the screws in it so it was very wobbly. Do these wobble with the screws installed too or have folks found this feature us no so favorable and worked out other solutions or bought models that don't have adjustable legs, which seemed very solid.

Now, I cant imagine centering 25lbs of clay, but is this centering spec a sign of motor power or quality and thus has some value ....thus, worth paying more for a wheel that can center more? How do you know what wheels have good start up power versus good load bearing power. What are the pros and cons of direct drive vs belt driven motors when it comes to wheels?

I'd rather take time to research and get the right wheel that will last for years then just buy the wheel with the best price. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad

There are several threads on buying wheels . . . if you go to the main forum page and search for new wheels you will find many of them.  A good wheel will last a lifetime.  And, if you ask 10 potters for their opinions, you will get a dozen responses. 

That said, my wheel is a Shimpo Whisper.  Reasons -- quiet running, foot pedal response, and direct drive (no belt).  I learned on Brents (B and C model) and did not care for the noise or pedal response (granted, they were community studio wheels and subjected to lots of (ab)use.  But the studio had a couple old Shimpos that virtually everyone avoided, but I tried and liked them.  Centering capacity -- only matters if you throw large, e.g., 25 lbs or more.  I don't so that was not a major concern.  When I do throw large, I generally throw in pieces and assemble them.  Besides the Shimpo, I considered wheels from Bailey Pottery and the Thomas Stuart wheel. 

One comment re the Clayboss with plastic wheelheads.  Go with aluminum.  I heard about a potter who needed to use a propane torch to firm up a pot and melted his Clayboss wheelhead not realizing it was plastic.

I'll recommend the Shimpo VL Whisper for a one-wheel studio. I cut the top edge (throw normally and then mark and cut just above the splatter line) of the splash pan. The height issue is more solvable with block of wood than with adjustable legs. Also having a foot rest is essential.

I could stop a Shimpo VL Lite with one hand.

The Brent C is also an option (or maybe even a A or B, dunno). Yes, they are solid enough to last and be worth the money.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Shimpo has a normally higher resell value-- there aren't many being resold. Used Brent wheels come up because they have been in the American market longer.

I have two Shimpo VL Whispers, one Brent CXC and one Brent C. So far my students don't have too much of a preference between Shimpo and Brent wheel. I will continue to buy equal numbers of both.

contact bailey re their wheels.  the noise of a brent is excessive.  the bailey has features you might like and is a quality product with good backup by the manufacturer.   bailey also has sales on their equipment at times and could save some money even if you don't need to. 

I used a Brent CXC in college. I liked it well enough to want to buy one, but at the time I was ready I couldn't afford it, so my first wheel was an Axner Model M-600 Potter's Wheel. It was okay, but I sold it and got a Skutt's Thomas Stuart Signature Series Electric Potter's Wheel "Professional" (1 HP)
This model offers the largest motor in the industry, capable of centering over 400 lbs. of clay. Man this thing will tear your arm off if you try an stop it. It is quite
. I love the built in well, the solid wheel head that can be removed for easy cleaning of the well. And they offer a adapter to raise the wheel head. Which is great when you want to throw large plates (as long as you have the kiln to handle them. Another important factor to consider. It came with a 14" wheel head, but you can also get a 12" wheel head. I know I will be keeping this wheel for a lifetime. Here is a link for more info at Axner, but other Clay suppliers carry it too: http://www.axner.com/skutt-professional-potters-wheel.aspx. Beast wishes for happy throwing.

I agree with Old Lady. I like the Bailey. I have had my Bailey for about 17 or so years.. I recently replaced the belts and two years ago replaced the potentiometer in the pedal. I like the draining splash pan for easy cleanup. Customer support is great. I have a bailey Slab roller, pug mill , wheel, and extruder. I have been a faithful customer for 30+ years. They are always trying to improve on their products.I have extension legs on my wheel. I just added a larger table around the wheel...custom built by me. ..part of my spring cleaning/ studio reorganization.

In choosing a wheel, I think you need to "test drive" and see how your body fits. If your 6' husband wants to use it, maybe adjustments can be made, but I think a wheel needs to fit the potter. You need a good seat to go along with it.There are many excellent wheels, Shimpo, Stewart, etc.

Marcia

There is no one answer. The wheel will not be the weak link in your progress. Any functioning good quality wheel will serve you well. Don't get caught up in comparing specs that will not really ever matter. I have a wheel (CXC-Brent) that can center more clay than I can carry, let alone center in one lump.

Get one that works, develop your skills, sell the wheel and upgrade when a better one comes along.

Minx, I have a Brent C I bought almost 5 years ago.  It is a great machine.  I like it a lot.  However, it is getting noisier with time.  I bought a old used Shimpo  a couple of years ago that needed TLC and a good home.  It is rather noisy also.  I am now taking a class and the instructor has 8 shimpo VL's.  there are 8 of us in that class, knee to knee and shoulder to shoulder and you do NOT hear the wheels.  All you hear is the chatter of the students! The pedal is responsive.  If I were to do it again, I would probably look for something a little quieter.  But if you get a chance to buy a used Brent, just know, it is a well made machine.  Very sturdy.  but you might want to consider the noise factor.

Roberta

I bought my Brent model C in 1976.  I've had no problems with it all these years.  I rather like the sound it makes, it is like the sound of your car's engine, it gives you information on how the motor/engine is running.  I've never thrown more than 18 pounds of clay at a time.  I would not recommend the smaller Brent which I use for doing demonstrations at shows as it is really loud, and there is no surface for my water bucket and tools.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the manufacturers you are considering.

Thanks for all the input. Definitely helpful to get the perspective of those who have already past this hurdle. I think I'm leaning towards the Brent or Shimpo. I don't think I can get past the wheel head on the Clayboss. It just doesn't make sense to me for a long term wheel. Bit concerned with th VL lite, if it can be stopped with one hand, so I may rule that one out. Good to know the wheels get louder over time, so that may be something that tips me towards the Whisper. Sounds like I can't go wrong with either the Brent or Shimpo and just need to weight the model options and get on with it. Much appreciated.

I think you're right to second guess the clay boss. That's what I have and while I can make pots on it just fine, and I'm sure *someone* could center 100lbs of clay on it, I really feel the wheel head slow down when I put pressure on it. Way different than the Brent I learned on and I find I'm constantly scanning craigslist for an upgrade...

I had my head set on finding a shimpo until someone remarked that they didn't realize they threw partly by sound until they used a shimpo. I realized that for me, throwing is a very sensory thing, to the point that I'll often close my eyes when I center. It's part of what I love about pottery. Can't see that working well with a whisper. Just more food for thought.

I bought a CI HP, and a CI MP years ago at the HS. MP I could stop as I could with the brent C. When I go money to buy another wheel at the HS I bought a Bailey near to the PRO 50R as it had a built in splash pan. Kids didn't like it for clean ups. Next wheel was a Bailey ST-XL, then two more. Now I am retired, and the wheels are still running great. The Pro 50 R has become a trimming wheel. None of them have needed belts replaced, and the oldest have been running for 25 years!

At home, I bought a Brent CXC for myself. This was in the 80's. Never have had a problem with it, cannot stop it! Even with 50# on it. It is a workhorse of a wheel. You should know that I had steady hearing loss over the years so never noticed the noise. After getting hearing aids, I notice that it is a little noisy, but not excessively so, it is a machine running, makes about the same amount of noise as a fan.

best,

Pres

if you can stop the wheelhead with a hand, is the belt or whatever drives the wheel worn out?   after 25 or more years, i found that my pacifica had worn out belts.  once replaced, the wheel is good as new.  and quiet.  so i can hear the radio, book or the birds outside.

Archived